The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  FrontPage 98 help
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 6:40 pm    

Recently I changed my hard drive and had to reinstall Micro$hit Frontpage 98. I need to get it to see my web page that I have stored on a zip disk. How the he!! do you do it? Is this another Micro$hit plot to drive me crazy?

Thanks

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2000 5:22 am    

Not a problem, that program is no different than any other program. Just make sure you have the zip disk loaded and then select that drive and then the file.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2000 12:10 am    

Richard;
I think you should be able to "import" pages from either your zip disk or from the web.
I use Front Page 2000 for www.buddyemmons.com
Good luck!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

[This message was edited by Ernie Renn on 18 April 2000 at 01:11 AM.]

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2000 7:50 am    

Actually, I can get it to access my zip drive and see the files. What I'm having problems with now is in the navigation view, I can only see the home page. None of the pages under the home page are shown. Also, when I open the different pages (double clicking the file in the file list) the background images for the page are gone.

I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Thanks

By the way Ernie, I bought the upgrade to Frontpage 2000 and didn't care much for it. I guess I was just too used to 98.
------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k

[This message was edited by Richard Sinkler on 18 April 2000 at 08:52 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2000 2:27 pm    

Sounds like the web pages were in a different location originally than on the zip drive and the pointers are set for the other location, probably c:\my documents\my webs (this is the default location that FP2000 uses).

You may have to copy all the files to the original hard drive location in order to properly see everything.

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 18 April 2000 at 03:29 PM.]

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2000 2:24 am    

Richard;
In FrontPage 2000, there are a few things that are different, but after using new update, I like it better.
Are you uploading to a free site? If so, your images might not show up on the page while you're editing it.
Follow this procedure: Open an existing page - right click on the image, (or the little white box with the red "x") - select: picture properties. See where it's telling browsers to get the image from. It could be that the images are on the website page, because you have them linked to the website address of the picture, (This is right). BUT when you do this sometimes the pictures don't show up after you change the picture properties to reflect the website picture address. The only way I'vd found to get around this is to first load your pictures to the web, then insert them into the page using the website picture address. There of course is a problem with that, too. When you try to save a page, it will save the imported photos, too. I just insert the pictures from the file on my computer, then change the picture properties to the picture name and any other directions for the browser. Look at some of the pages at www.buddyemmons.com I'm sure you'll find a few of the image properties to be "_borders/*****.jpg" The rest of the address isn't in FrontPage. It applies the index address, (minus the "index.htm") to the picture address. I load all of my images to the website into the "_borders" file and then in FP2000 change the pic. prop. from "C://****/*****.jpg" to "_borders/*****.jpg" The image changes to the little white box. The image doesn't show up on the page I'm editing, but the directions still tell browsers where to retrieve the image.
What this long explanation boils down to is:
The last thing you should do before you save the page is to change the pic. prop. If you have to upload your pages via a FTP program, it works the same.
If you have further FP2000 questions, email me @ Ernie@buddyemmons.com . I'll try to answer them. (No guarantees, though).

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 8:59 am    

I have always used the zip drive as the location of my files. That way I can take the zip disk and work on it at home or at work. Only after re-installing Frontpage have I had any problems.

I don't use a free site for my web site.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 1:17 am    

Richard;
You might try importing the pages.
Check in "my computer" to see if you have a "web folders" file. You can add asite to the program there.
I do suggest that you re-install the FP2000 and give it a little time, some of the features are really great. It took me a while to get used to clicking "window" on the task bar to change what page I was looking at, (FP98 uses a browser based back button). You can choose "view" and "folders" to see what file you want to open and the other bells and whistles are cool, too.
For the navigation view, I think you can check the hyperlink status in FP98, but I don't remember.
Good luck!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com