The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Q on Web page design
Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 6:51 pm    

Hi ,
When it comes to designing your own web page , is there any important things to bear in mind regarding compatibility between the Explorer/Netscape browsers like picture formats for instance ,( at the moment I'm saving the pics as .gif and .jpg ) and also if there are any basic html tags which will not work on certain 'puters ?
Thanks in advance
Ingo.

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 7:49 pm    

The W3C has the standard set high, so as long as you don't venture too far into Dynamic HTML and CSS, you are fine. Once you get into these, Internet Explorer and Netscape have drastic differences, too many to mention here. In my opinion, Netscape has far less useful features, lacking VBScript, ActiveX controls, and DHTML Database features. Netscape tends to lean toward Java.

Best regards,
Jonathan

------------------
"We get up at twelve and start to work at one, take an hour's lunch and then at two were done."

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2000 9:34 am    

Most good HTML reference books will highlight compatibility problems in their descriptions of HTML tags. The ones I keep handy are:

Dynamic HTML, The Definitive Reference by Danny Goodman (O'Reilly)

Hip Pocket Guide to HTML 3.2 by Tittle and Stewart (IDG Books)

For each tag, these books say which HTML standard introduced it, and which version of IE and Netscape started supporting it. There are similar indications on attributes. For example, IE has a much richer attribute set for the TABLE tag, far beyond what the HTML standard supports. If you're using the IE TABLE attributes, you should probably test with Netscape just to see what your tables look like.

Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) support is still pretty shakey in both browsers. I use CSS on my own pages, but not on the Forum pages. Also, I try to be careful not to do anything outrageous with CSS. There are a lot of things in the standard that aren't supported in anyone's code.

Another thing to consider is WebTV, which is even more limited in its HTML implementation. Images wider than 544 pixels, for example, will have real problems on WebTV. If your images are in a table, they need to be even smaller. If your table width is set to 90%, your maximum image width drops to 489 or even less, depending on the number of columns.

WebTV will try to shrink large images to make them fit, but "I can't see the picture" is still a common complaint from the WebTV users I know.

------------------
-b0b-

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 26 March 2000 at 09:37 AM.]

erik

Post  Posted 26 Mar 2000 3:47 pm    

When i get my PC i will be using the program HotMetal Pro 6 to make web pages. One of their big selling points is that of cross-compatibility of platforms and browsers... including webtv. If you go to www.hotmetalpro.com you can download a trial version.

Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2000 5:26 pm    

Hello
Jonathan , b0b and erik . Thank you very much for the replies to my question . I really appreciate it very much . That is some great information you have given me .
Thank you ,
Ingo .

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2000 8:58 pm    

Another excellent and up-to-date book is "HTML 4 for the World Wide Web" by Elizabeth Castro.

Handy as a reference book, and entertaining just to read through.