The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PowerMac 7200/90 - Hard-Disk rec. Q
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 9:31 am    

I've been thinking about buying an 7200 / 90 but I'm not sure if I can do Hard-Disk recording with it.
Does anyone know? And what would I need apart from the actual computer?

Thanks

Martin

------------------
S-10 Sierra Crown gearless

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 10:26 am    

It would depend on the size of the hard drive. These came with a 500 Mb HD by default; you could replace this with any size SCSI drive. However, the 7200/90 is woefully underpowered compared to the G3 and G4 Macintoshes which are available now. It has a PowerPC chip running at 90 mHz; for comparison, the current crop of iMacs run between 300 and 450 mHz.
Unless you're getting it for under $200, I would look elsewhere.
What you'd need for hard disk recording is the space on which to store the recording, the software with which to do the recording, and the microphone or other means of getting the sound into your computer.
Check out http://www.harmony-central.com/Recording/ for lots more information and suggestions.

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 11:58 am    

I would just echo what Brad said. A Mac 7200/90 is just too old and underpowered for most of the tasks we would expect a computer to perform these days.

You'll end up getting something else soon anyway, so skip the old stuff and spend a little more on something more current. Even the basic iMac for around 900 bucks has everything you need (except the software of your choice) for digital recording.

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 10:38 pm    

Martin,

I third the vote that you look for a more capable machine. This despite the fact that I have a Mac 6100/90 I'm using for the same purpose. I have, however, fattened up my Mac with 9GB drive, 132MB RAM, and a 240MHz G3 accelerator card, so it does ok. I also have Mark of the Unicorn's Performer 6 software, which allows me to record up to 8 tracks of digital audio in parallel with unlimited MIDI tracks, using the 6100's built-in stereo 16-bit analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters. It's pretty cool.

------------------
Bill * MSA Classic U12 7/4/wrist * www.rahul.net/thinker