The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help w/ Removing Fender Dual Pro Lollipop Tuners from Pan?
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 8:15 pm    

Hey, gang:

I'm hoping someone here has had experience liberating Fender Dual Professional lollipop tuners from their pans.

Unlike Stringmaster tuners, which just pop in and out, the DP tuners appear to be welded to the pan? I know nothing about metal work.

I attach some pics.

What I'm trying to do is remove some good tuners from a badly damaged pan, then swap them out with some damaged tuners from a pan in real good condition:

ANY help, suggestions, etc. anyone can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 12:38 am    

Looks like solder to me, probably 50/50 so it shouldnt take too much heat to melt it. A good iron or small torch should do it.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 7:03 am    

The early Stringmasters had the soldered in tuners like that also. Very Happy
Erv

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 7:15 am    

I had to replace two broken tuners on my '52 Custom. The tuners are soldered onto the pan but you can get them off without too much trouble. You will need a small propane torch like this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-WK2301-Propane-Torch-Kit-333084/202539561

It's not hard to do and pretty self explanatory with a little thoughtful analysis and patience.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 1:40 pm    

when i have to work on soldered together parts, sometimes i will take a razor saw and just saw through the solder.

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 2:21 pm    

I'd do it like Bill and saw through the solder either with a razor saw or a cutting wheel on a dremel. Much easier and safer than trying to remelt and remove old solder
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 3:39 pm    

If you saw or grind it be careful, it's LEAD.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 10:23 pm     Thanks , Tim!!!

Tim Whitlock wrote:
You will need a small propane torch like this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-WK2301-Propane-Torch-Kit-333084/202539561

It's not hard to do and pretty self explanatory with a little thoughtful analysis and patience.

The last time someone said to me, "...you'll need a small propane torch..." I ended up getting arrested. Laughing

All kidding aside, I am exceedingly un-handy. Will I need any other equipment/tools? Will I have to solder the tuner back into the other pan (I've never used a soldering iron).

Thanks much--I basically need step-by-step instructions--you know, to ensure no one gets hurt (or goes to jaon). Thanks again!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 10:29 pm     Holy crap!!

Glenn Wilde wrote:
If you saw or grind it be careful, it's LEAD.

What?!? Lead?!? Oh, great... (makes sense, tho, late 1940, early 50's). Still, I don't need my IQ to drop any further. What do I do? Mask and Gloves?

I don't own a Dremel, but you can put most dremel heads on a drill, right? I did that recently with round piece with sandpaper on it.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2020 8:02 am    

Mark,
The lollipop will have to be removed from the tuner shaft by heating the shaft with a soldering iron and tugging on the lollipop with some pliers when the solder inside melts. You'll want to pad the pliers jaws in some way to keep from damaging the lollipop. I've used duct tape but be aware that it will start melting if you hold it on the lollipop for very long. Parallel closing non-serrated pliers would be better but that's not a typical item in most tool boxes. Probably a good idea to wear goggles since you may have flying beads of molten solder when the lollipop is suddenly removed.

The next step depends on whether you are planning to swap out all the tuners or just a couple. Which are you planning to do?

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2020 12:00 pm    

I don't think a little exposure to a tiny amount of lead dust for a few minutes is going to be harmful. Maybe if you were exposed for hours on a daily basis for a long period of time. Wear a painter's mask if you have concerns or just melt the solder with a torch. I recommend you get rolling by removing the bad tuners. Here are some old threads on this topic that will help.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=256969&highlight=lollipop

Here's a shot of a finished replacement job from the above thread. A beautiful clean job and the replacement strip tuners (StewMac?) are way better than the originals:

Another old thread:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=267712&highlight=lollipop

If all else fails I have heard that Jim Palenscar can repair them. He is at Steel Guitars of North County near San Diego. Maybe a guitar repair shop nearer to you could do the job.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 10:16 am    

Just seein if there's any progress here?