The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro tunings
Larry Schubert

Orcutt, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2002 11:30 pm    

Hey guys I got a question I am currently playing a E tunning on my dobro EBEG#BE Witch is pretty cool nice and blusey but I was wondering if there was a tunng more popular with the blugrass and country players? If so what do you guys use and how do you tune it 440 straight up or not thanks

nick allen

France
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2002 11:40 pm    

Standard bluegrass dobro tuning is GBDGBD low to high.
I've been playing around recently with another major chord tuning which seems nice for country, which is GCEGCE - an open C chord with the third on top. It works quite nicely playing with another acoustic guitarist. Gives you the 1,5 bass notes, Johnny Cash-style. It is also, coincidentally or otherwise, the same layout as the major chord tones in the E9 pedal steel tuning. Having said that, I have NEVER seen any tab for this tuning, or even heard of anyone else using it... although I believe "Moon In Alaska" may use the same note layout as an E tuning...
However as I said, the standard bluegrass dobro tuning is GBDGBD and you will find plenty of instruction material for that, in books, videos and on the Web.
Have fun
Nick

Larry Schubert

Orcutt, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2002 12:49 am    

thank you so much Nick! You totld me exactly what I wanted to know I will try out the 2nd tunning first sence I am going to be doing a floky project with an acoustic guitarist.

Thanks
Larry

Pete Grant

Auburn, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2002 7:44 am    

Although G tuning (GBDGBD low to high) is popular with players of country and bluegrass (it seems to be "required" in bluegrass), I think you'll find that D tuning (D A D F# A D)--just like your E tuning but a whole step low--is far more versatile for country and even better for a lot of fiddle tunes in bluegrass.

For one thing, you have access to a harmonized scale in 6ths on the first and third strings with a combination of a straight bar and a forward slant of one fret (forward slant being that the nose of the bar is higer than the back of the bar). To get the same scale on G tuning you use a forward slant of one fret and a forward slant of two frets. I play far fewer two-fret slants, just 'cause they're so tricky to play in tune.

A nice thing about G tuning is that you have a sequential chord (135135) with no chord tones missing. This is also a drawback, because the overall range of the tuning is an octave and a fifth, while your tuning and D tuning have a range of two octaves (151351). I get far more use out of having the root on the first string. I hardly ever miss having a 3rd way down in the bass range. As a matter of fact, not having it is more of an advantage. Having 151 on the bottom gives me the ability to more easily fake a minor chord--or play one of the 3 minor chords possible by using an open string for the third of the chord (Bmi, F#mi, and Ebmi).

I've done lots of playing with country and bluegrass bands, and a lot of recording using D tuning. It works _very well_. The only time I will grab a G tuning dobro is if I want to get that Josh Graves sound on some classic Flatt & Scruggs tune--and if that's all you want to do, G tuning will serve you well. It's part of that sound. But I think there's a real "everybody does it that way so I guess I'd better do it too" aspect to the use of G tuning.

I'm hoping to update my seriously ancient website fairly soon, and one of the projects is to put up MP3s of some of my music. Maybe I'll start with me and Vassar Clements and me and Frank Wakefield--in D tuning. It's really a wonderful versatile tuning.

Ziggie

Freeland, Mi. USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2002 9:37 am    

I personally didn't like G tunning and finally ended up with E13. It's very bluesy plus I can do a lot of nice country and swing things with it. I'll never go back to G tunning now. E13 opened all the doors for me as far as getting the sounds I really liked. Low to high E13 is as follows. DEG#BC#E You might give it a try and see how well it works out for you. Have a great day.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2002 9:37 am    

I think quite a few steel players that double on dobro use an A, high bass tuning. This is the one I use. I learned on the A, high bass tuning eons ago and am too old to switch now. I is just like the G tuning but raised to A.
If I'm not mistaken, Shot Jackson used the A
tuning, but I might be wrong.
Uff-Da!

Terry Miller

Hammondsport NY USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2002 12:46 pm    

Erv, Shot used a E tuning in a 7 string format. Terry

Larry Schubert

Orcutt, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2002 10:52 pm    

well thank you all for the tunning advice I have lots to think about now and lots to try thanks again every body!

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2002 11:34 pm    

I use a B6/G#7. (Lo to Hi) C Eb F# G# B Eb I play Hawaiian music mostly.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2002 11:54 pm    

If you ever get the chance go and see Randy Kohrs play. He works with a bunch of people here in Nashville and the G bluegrass tuning hasn't kept him from playing any style or from keeping up with some great guitar players like Redd Volkhart. Randy has an Ouahu 6 string lap steel tuned to the G tuning GBDGBD and has it mounted on a peice of plywood so he can hold it like a Dobro with a strap. He uses lots of effects and a volume pedal and can get some serious smoke on rock or blues tunes. I never thought you could do that with this tuning but he knows the neck this well. Amazing player!