The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speakers for Deluxe Reverb
Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 9:27 am    

What recommendations do you all have for a speaker for a Deluxe Reverb?

Looking at a used one that apparently fried the speaker... sounds like the guy took it out and tossed it (a shame if he did...)

What are the ups and downs of currently available speaker choices for that amp? Sound quality / volume / etc. ???

Finally, what price range does it take to get a decent speaker to put in there?

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 9:36 am    

i recently replaced the speaker in my 65 Deluxe Reverb with a reissue Jensen C12N. Sounds fantastic. Bought it off Ebay for $50.00...

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 9:36 am    

Should be able to find Something here.
http://www.usspeaker.com/

Its only a 22 watt amp so it shouldn't be too expensive to replace. Probably a little overkill wouldn't hurt anything, Almost any 8 ohm 12 speaker from eminence will do you a good job.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 11:03 am    

Somebody paid me for a gig with an old Fane 12" that really makes my 68 Deluxe sparkle.

Check out the 12" Celestion classic 80's. I really like them. Its a pretty efficient speaker that should get you a fair amount of headroom.

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 09 March 2004 at 11:05 AM.]

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 11:18 am    

I am partial to Weber- though I am far from an expert.

http://www.webervst.com/crossref.htm

at the above link there's a good cross reference of Weber VST speaker offerings with the requisite subjective descriptions of tonal qualities.
for "clean" I am partial to the California series. If you are looking to "crunch" another model may work better for you...

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 11:51 am    

I have a highly modified late '60's Princeton Reverb that I recently put a JBL K120 in, and boy does it ever sound good. The original speaker sounded pretty good but the JBL really improved the sound. This is my favorite guitar amp out of about 13 or 14 in my collection. The K120's are kind of rare but I finally found one on Ebay for around $125.00.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 11:53 am    

ND---the time you heard my Deluxe Reverb at Hanks it had a Weber California in it. Rated at 80W, it is obviously going to be a clean machine. If one were going to be using this as a guitar amp and wanted a bunch of texture and character from a speaker, Weber has a few lower watt speakers that are highly regarded for the DR.

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 12:28 pm    

I am slightly put out. It is NOT a Deluxe Reverb, in the way I had thought... it is a "Deluxe 112 Reverb" which seems to be quite a different animal... and I don't know what the heck it is. certainly not the unloved (and undervalued) silverface I was hoping it would be... Sheesh. I was real happy there for about an hour until I heard back from the dude.

Jon, FWIW, I was looking for something a little more portable, with a sweeter sound than my big-a** solid state lump, for some things this summer with small acoustic country combo in a restaurant-ey kind of setting... lower volume. Love the sound out of the old fender gear... but don't need something super powerful. No rush on it, though...

[This message was edited by Nicholas Dedring on 09 March 2004 at 12:35 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2004 5:42 pm    

The Deluxe 112 is a solid-state amp. It's designed primarily with overdriven sounds in mind. In other words, it's a straight guitar amp. I tried one, but it wasn't as good for steel as my Stage 112SE (though the power ratings are about the same). It features the small (crappy-cheap) reverb tank that's cost Fender more lost sales than Peavey. (Years ago, Fender was always noted for their beautiful reverbs. Sadly, their solid-state stuff never had a decent 'verb.) The only thing I like about the amp is the front-panel headphone jack.

Frankly, I don't think you'll never get "tube warmth" from a cheap transistor amp.