The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  question for Mike Brown, Ken Fox
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 8:41 pm    

Hey guys, I could use some expert advise. Got a profex 2 in yesterday. Powers up and changes settings. However, there is only a hum when it is hooked up. No other sound. I tried to get a signal on the input light with no luck. Is this likely just the input jack or something else? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 9:01 pm    

Not sure about this one. I had one with battery damage recently. It usually takes out the muting circuit transistors or other things in the area of the battery (that mutes the unit on power up). Still, it was getting a signal to the input light. You could just as well have a bad input jack, I just replaced one yesterday!

You might set up an effect with an "effect loop" as an added effect. Then set the levels up on that and then insert a signal into the effects loop. That will tell you if the audio circuits are working somewhat.

After all that, check the battery for leakage/damage.

It sounds like it may need a trip to Meridian! I would not mind one myself, too much rain here in the Northwest this time of year!!!

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2004 11:07 am    

It looks like Ken has provided good advice, but you can always return your Profex II to our factory technicians for repair. I caution that when a battery leaks, that it can cause continued problems throughout the life of the product. However, some symptoms may not be evident until after years of use.

The above is a worse case scenario. If the leakage is discovered sooner, usually the product will operate in a normal fashion for years.

Our address is;
Peavey Service Center
Attn; Repair Assistance
412 Hwy. 80 East
Meridian, MS 39301

Please include your daytime phone number with a note of symptoms.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2004 2:41 pm    

I have replaced close to 70 batteries in these type of units in the last several years. The unit mentioned above was the only one I have had damaged by acid! Most clean up just fine. I check mine every year or two now. I have batterys in my Peavey Autographs and a Midi-Streamer as well.

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 19 February 2004 at 02:42 PM.]

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 19 Feb 2004 6:04 pm    

Hey guys, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I checked the battery and it is fine. No signs of previous nor current damage to the board. I have replaced several batteries in the profex units and that last one did have damage to the board. I managed to repair the damage and add a new battery that worked fine. However, this unit seems to have other problems. I am using the power supply that was shipped with the uit. It is a universal with all of the connections. However, reading the manual it states 16.5v 1amp power supply is needed. Of the several units I have had, I never copied the numbers off of the power supply. I am now wondering if this may be the problem! The one I have has multiple settings but only goes to 12v. I checked at Walmart and radio shack and that is the maximum voltage they have. Other than ordering one from Peavey, any other power supply that I can get? (no offense Mike, it may all be heading your way soon) I really appreciate your input and advise.
Thanks,
Dave

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2004 6:30 pm    

David,
The Peavey 16.5 Volt units use AC voltage. The ones available at Wal-Mart and Radio Shack are almost always DC. Using DC where AC is required in solid state PC boards will usually do irrepairable damage.

[This message was edited by Bob Knight on 19 February 2004 at 06:39 PM.]

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 19 Feb 2004 6:36 pm    

Hi Bob, Thanks for that note. I actually had my wife looking today while I was at work. However, I will definitely pay attetion to the difference. Just didn't know if ya'll were getting the power supplies form someplace other than Peavey. I will certainly order form Mike & the gang, if need be. I was looking for something readily available locally to check and see if that was the problem or not. Thanks again!
Dave

Frank Harris

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2004 8:16 pm    

david i brought a tranformer from peavey last year for nick maniscalso and price was 30.00 if i remmber right also thanks for your help on profex if works fine now and i have no card for it so your downloading is not needed yet if you have one for sale i will buy it from you with newmans sets thank you dave and hope the amp is doing fine frank

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 11:05 am    

No offense taken, David. Several things come to mind. First, initialization, the adjustment of the view angle. Other than that, it can most likely be repaired. If this is the case, e-mail me at mikebrown@peavey.com with the incoming tracking number and we'll repair it quickly at minimum cost. I can be reached toll free at 1-877-732-8391 in North America.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 6:43 pm    

Frank, the amp is working fine and I am glad things worked out on the profex. I didnt think it was anything serious. As for the card Frank, as I mentioned in the email, a Roland 512e,d, or g memory card will suffice to load the Newman settings. I can do this if you decide and I am sure Mike Brown being the gentleman he is can also assist you.

Mike, Bob Knight helped me with the problem I was having with the profex simply by making the power supply requirements a bit clearer for me. I found a Peavey power supply here locally at our Peavey distributor and the unit works great! I will be placing an order shortly for a mod for the profex tho. I greatly appreciate your time and advise as well as many others do! Many times you will see postings for "Help needed from Mike Brown!" As always, you come through.

Thanks,
Dave

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 9:50 pm    

Glad you got it working David...I was about to mention another trouble-shooting process that I discovered when I had almost identical symtoms with my ProFex...It seems that my son was using the card slot for a piggy bank! After emtying out the change it worked as good as new, although I ended up with a spare power supply thinking that was the problem.

Tom Jordan

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2004 6:47 pm    

Ouch Tom! That was one problem I certainly wouldn't have expected! By chance, did you have enough in the piggy bank to pay for the extra plug?
Dave