The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Evans Pre-Amp into a Session 500
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2003 9:35 am    

If I connect the output on an Evans pre-amp into the power amp in jack on a Session 500, will I get pretty much the same sound as an Evans amp? The 500 has a Black Widow speaker. Will the electonics in the 500 power amp and the size of the cabinet, change the sound from what it would if I was using just a regular Evans amp? Will the reverb unit still function in the 500, or will it be disconnected along with the 500 pre-amp when I plug the Evans into the 500 power amp in jack? I owned an Evans previously, but had to sell it to raise some cash. I want to buy one back in the not too distant future, and just thought that the Evans pre amp might give me either an Evans sound or a 500 sound, depending on my mood at the time.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2003 10:10 am    

George--as you know, everything affects the final sound. I changed to a BW speaker in my Evans FET 500 Custom and it changed the sound. The Evans has a large cab and I'm told it sounds different from a small cab Evans. The Fet transistors contribute to a different sound in the power amp section of the Evans. But I would expect that a large part of the Evans sound in the preamp will come through in the PV500. Unfortunately my answer, therefore, is that it will be somewhere in between. Which you didn't need me to tell you. But I actually believe that the bigger part of the voice and personality will be up front in the preamp so I'd expect you to hear the Evans.
In my experience of doing this sort of patch, I believe you will be bypassing the reverb in the PV with only the master volume being active on the front panel.