The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Steel method videos/books
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 8:35 am    

Hey there friends -- I found a book/tape on ebay called "Deadly Lap Steel" by Scott Hall. I've looked for this book on Amazon and Yahoo, but CANNOT FIND IT!! Arrrrrghhhhh...

I'm wondering, has anyone here used it? If so, is it worth getting? Is there an updated version available with CD instead of cassette?

There are also several others that interest me:

Arlen Roth - Lap Steel Guitar
The Slide Guitar of Kelly Joe Phelps
60 Hot Licks for Dobro - taught by Tim McCasland

Has anyone tried any of these videos? I already have the Cindy Cashdollar series for learning to play my Stringmaster, which was VERY helpful to me. I definitely can recommend that for those learning westernswing styles.

Now, I'm trying to get into the 6-string lap in open tunings (G and D, primarily). I would really appreciate any other suggestions anyone has.

Thanks a bunch!
TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (Amaj9, C6, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6) through an old Super Reverb or Deluxe; Melobar SLS lapsteel (open G); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (A6)

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 11:10 am    

Hey TJ, I had the Arlen Roth video...you're well beyond what he teaches on that tape, IMO, but you may find something worthwhile in it. He discusses open E and open G tunings for 6 string, going over hawaiian, blues, and country styles. I believe Ted Smith was selling it on the Melobar site. You may want to start there.

I have the Kelly Joe Phelps video. Send me a note and we can work something out.

Keith Grubb

Petaluma, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 1:49 pm    

Hey Jeffstro,
Which version of E13th is Cindy's video?

E G# D F# G# B C# E

or

B D E G# B C# E G#

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2001 6:18 pm    

Hi, Todd, I have the Deadly Lap Steel book, I got it on ebay and it comes back up from time to time. And by the way, I got mine after the auction was over by emailing the seller who was also the publisher, he had lots of copies so if you can search "ended auctions" and email him I'm sure you can get a copy. It's an ok book, really a bunch of short licks in tab and on the tape, maybe a few ideas you might not have thought of but nothing earth shaking in my opinion.

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2001 11:48 am    

I have "60 Hot Licks for Dobro - taught by Tim McCasland"

It's exactly that. 60 Licks, no instruction, comments, or anything else. Just as advertised.

It's worth the low price if you want a bunch of licks and understand you'll learn technique and theory elsewhere.

It does include a small tab booklet of all the licks. Open G.

-j0e-