The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  my old lap steels
Kevin Lamb

San Bernardino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 9:44 pm    

I have an ancient Rickenbaker...six string, all grey metal....think it is an electro.....
I also have an 8 string blonde/white Fender lap (someone broke the legs when they took them completely apart)
serial #000882. It has original leather and tweed case.
Anyone know how old these might be?

Kevin Lamb

San Bernardino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 10:20 pm    

Just went into the archive....this Rickenbacher (c) does not seem like one of the early ones. Two control knobs are on the right.....strings attach to the top piece, I guess the horseshoe things are only 1 1/4 inch wide.....and the pickup is Pat. No 208917(1)?
Still I plugged it into my amp and it still works.
I saw JD's lengthy post, so that is how i am evaluating this. Case is an old ugly brown alligatorish thing.

Kevin Lamb

San Bernardino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 10:58 pm    

Glenn Ross Cambell? Does anybody know or remember this steeler that came out of Riverside, CA? He was a sensational, amazing player (8 string). He caused quite a sensation in the early 70's, especially in england....I know Paul McCartney and Eric Clapton were fans...then he disappeared.
Oh...my previous post....the Fender case is not the original.....

Steve Honum

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2001 12:34 pm    

Kevin, Glenn has been living in New Zealand for quite a while. I got to know him down there and saw him play many times. He was still living in Auckland when I came back to Calif. 2 years ago. He is the most in-demand steel player there and has done quite a few recordings with Al Hunter, Glen Moffet, Brendon Ham and other country singers as well as commercials etc. There is not alot of work around though, and he had a day job at the Auckland Art Gallery. He had a Sierra single 12 pedal steel and a really unique custom built arch-top f-hole jazz style electric with a square neck 9 string set-up which he played standing up, dobro style. He uses this to play jump-blues, swing and rockablilly stuff through a pair of Vibroluxes and it sounds fantastic. He's a great player and an interesting guy. He played in one of harmonica legend, Rod Piazza's early blues bands before heading off to England and beyond.
Haere mai,
Steve H.
S8A6

[This message was edited by Steve Honum on 13 August 2001 at 01:36 PM.]

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 11:57 am    

The Ricky sounds like a NS model, but I'd have to see a picture to be sure.
The Fender Deluxe 8 was one of the longest running steel guitar lines in Fender's history. It could be from any time frame. Again a photo would be a great help. Check out my Fender photos and see if you have one there that looks like yours.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars