The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Profex ll bypass ?
BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2001 10:43 am    

I'm trying to set up my rig to be able to switch from an Alesis midverb 4 to a Profex ll. The only problem is I dont know how to go to bypass mode on the Profex ll when looking to use the midiverb only. How do I bypass the Profex ll ?
As always any help is appreciated.
BobG

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2001 12:40 pm    

A trick I picked up from George Edwards....

Use a A/B switch.

As most folks use the stuff in a rack-mount mode, a single space mount is devoted to a switching panel, ( effects/ stright in)

works very well.

Bill

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 6:41 am    

If I understand you correctly, you are using the Midiverb and the Profex II as two preamps and you want to switch between the two? If this is the case, simply setup a preset in the Profex II as you normally do, then set up a second preset with only the parameter "FX" in the chain(preferably you would want to set up the two presets in consecutive order). Connect the Midiverb to the effects(hint;FX) patch loop on the rear panel of the Profex II, then everytime you change to that preset, the Midiverb signal will be activated. It's just a matter of selecting presets on the Profex II at that point.

Bob Brocius

Lake Katrine, NY USA Don't blink, you'll miss it.!
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 7:52 am    

Mike, Thanks for the great answer. I've had need to do the same thing. Now I can. Keep up the good work buddy.

------------------
Bobby Brocius, JCH D-10, 9x7
New Zum, D-10, 8x8 Due in Wednesday

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 9:21 am    

Thanks Mike!! You nailed it!!

Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 5:45 am    

I have an MPX-100 in my rack with a TubeFex that I only use for the Leslie effect. I hooked it up exactly as Mike described above and select it as a "Leslie" patch on the TubeFex. Works great. Have also done this with the H & K Roto-Sphere.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 6:03 am    

Am I correct that no one is happy with the rotating speaker (RS) effect in the (Trans)TubeFex? You'd think that since this as a dedicated effect it would sound at least half decent.

My Boss GX-700 has a factory patch called fast Leslie that is a combination of chorus, tremolo, and phase shift. It's not great, but sounds okay. It sounds almost as good as the RPM-1 in my rack, but I haven't given up on tweaking the RPM-1 (yet).

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 10:17 am    

I use the "rotary speaker" patch in my Transtube Fex. I haven't been able to tweak it as good as I would like but I'm using it. It's sort of a compromise as I got rid of a rack with several separate effect units and went with the one Transtube Fex. Eventually I'll get the rotary speaker program tweaked the way I want it - everything else in the Transtube works great.

As far as a device, other than a dedicated rotary simulator device, I had a DOD 565 stereo chorus that I used for many years as a leslie simulator. I got a lot of good comments about it such as "it sounds like an old B2 Hammond", etc.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2001 9:39 pm    

I had a TubeFex for a while and I liked the rotary effect okay. One thing that helps get that organ sound is to blend in a little pitch shifted sound of +7 or -5 half-steps. Sort of like the drawbars on a Hammond.

Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2001 8:16 am    

I have a TubeFex not a TransTubeFex. To my knowledge, there is no rotary speaker effect in the TubeFex - at least that I have been able to find. That's why I use an external effect.

I have the Session 2000 and use the Rotary Speaker effect in the amp and am well satisfied with it. I believe it's the same one that's in the TransTubeFex.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2001 9:19 am    

The "RS" effect in the Transtube Fex/Tube Fex is the Rotary Simulator.

Here is my program using the TB (tube/transtube analog preamp), RS and NG (Noise gate). The right arrow does not display on the forum, each circle with an x is the right arrow (series indicator).

A3 - Leslie: TB®RS® NG
TB: Pr=100, Pd=Lo, Pt=100, Bs=100, Mi=49, Tr=27, Ps=+16
Output Level (®) = 100
RS: Sp=High, Rh=47, H=16, Rl=14, L=5, Fm=74, P=74, Mx=80
Output Level (®) = 100
NG: Atk=11, Rel=4, Thr=-56db, Sen=9
Output Level = 100

Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2001 11:21 am    

Thanks Jack - I'll look again when I get home but I swear I've searched and searched and couldn't find an RS effect on my Tube Fex.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2001 11:29 am    

Now that you mention it, I believe that only the TransTubeFex has the RS (Rotating Speaker) effect. It is newer than the TubeFex which does not have that effect.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2001 9:25 am    

Both the Tubefex and Transtube Fex feature the rotating speaker effect which is abbreviated by "RS".

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2001 9:48 am    

I stand corrected (again). Thanks Mike.

Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2001 10:46 am    

I beg to differ with you Mike BUT mine doesn't. I checked it very carefully again last night and went through the manual and NO "RS" rotating speaker effect. Maybe I have an early version and there's been an upgrade. If there has been, can I get it retrofitted. I'd be anxious to do that if that's a possibility.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2001 11:22 am    

Okay, it's the Smiths vs. the Browns. I was pretty sure that I read (maybe on Peavey's web site) about the RS being added to the TTF and not in the TF.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2001 11:27 am    

No problem, no problem. You might have an earlier version of software. I don't remember if we added the "RS" effect in a later software version. But, if you don't have it, you may order the EPROM through our parts department and have a qualified technician install it for you. They can quote pricing of the part to you via phone or e-mail. You may reach me at 1-877-732-8391 and I'll get you in touch with them for ordering. The latest software versions for both the Tubefex and Transtube Fex is version 2.0.

Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2001 11:56 am    

I'm getting a new rotating speaker. Ain't life wonderful. What was this thread about anyway, oh yes, by-passing the Profex II.

[This message was edited by Dave Smith on 31 January 2001 at 11:59 AM.]