The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording setup w/ 4 ch tape recorder
Craig Villalon

Charlottesville Va.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2001 1:53 pm    

The band i have been playing with is getting really tight and i would like some help on how to set up the recording process. I have a Tascam 4 channel tape recorder....i have a 12 channel Peavey mixer which i run the vocals thru, a 500watt Peavey amp to drive that thru two PA speakers, guitar, steel and bass are thru separate amps..Sooooo whats the best way to record this stuff all at once and if i were to want to record it in tracks? what about general mike placement and specific placement of mikes in front of the amps...i play thru a twin...
thanks!!

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2001 2:01 pm    

Hi Craig,

Assuming your machine has sync on it (Play back one track while recording another) I suggest you use two tracks to record the band and the remaining two to do the vocals. If you pan everything correctly through the mixer you will get a nice stereo soundstage and enhance your sound. The reason for overdubbing the vocals is to avoid bleed or leakage from the instruments into the vocal mike. Happens in live gigs, a real no no in the recording scene. This also gives you more flexibility in balancing when the time comes to mix down.

Regards,

Mark T.

[This message was edited by mtulbert on 19 January 2001 at 02:02 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2001 2:45 pm    

One word of caution. I have a Tascam 424MKII and if you want to keep the inputs/tracks separate you must record "direct". If you go through the EQ/Buss you will get the same thing on all channels.