The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Power Supply (Wall Wart) Question
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2001 6:41 pm    

When purchasing a power supply for a stomp box, how important is the amperage? I find 9 volt adaptors that range anywhere from 200 mA to 850 mA. I just purchased an F/X unit that calls for a 9V 200mA power supply and the only 9V wall wart I have in my box-o-stuff is 9V 850mA. Should I buy a new wall wart rated at 200mA?

Thanks for your help.

Lee, from South Texas

Joe Law

Leslie ,GA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2001 7:04 pm    

Lee, you just want to be sure it will supply the load needed. In your case the 850ma one would give amps to spare and would run cooler.Just be sure the plugs are compatible
that is + to + and negatives match.If they don't its no hard job to go to Radio Shack and get one , then cut the one off and solder the matching one.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2001 7:15 pm    

The power supply I have came with about 5 or 6 different plugs and the tips are reversable. It was pretty pricey and I would like to continue to use it. I just don't want to run the risk of damaging my new pedal.

Lee

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 3:07 am    

If you have a power supply that is rated for higher current than required it will work well. You just don't want to get one that has a lower current rating than what is required. In your case the 850ma model is overkill when the device only requires 200ma but the 850ma model will probably run cooler.

The voltage and polarity, as was mentioned before is the thing you need to be concerned with. As long as it is the correct voltage and polarity (and at least the minimum current rating) the power supply you bought should work OK. There is usually a label on the power jack on devices that indicate the polarity.

I have a Radio Shack power supply I'm using with my Boss DD-5. I've used it for about 3 years without problems.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 6:45 pm    

Hi Lee:
Boss make 2 power supplies: PSA-100 and PSA-120 The PSA-120 is the power supply that you can power the RV-3 and daisy chain 3 or 4 effects with the same power supply.