The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mapping programs in the Session 2000
Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2001 10:48 am    

When I started using my Session 2000 I discovered that I couldn't map user and factory programs into the "A" and "B" program play lists. As you Profex II and TubeFex users know, when you want to map user program (U12) into slot (A5), you up or down arrow to A5, right arrow over to the program currently assigned, then up or down arrow to the desired program (U12). Now left arrow back and the mapping is completed. That's the way the Session 2000 user manual describes the mapping capability for the 2000 but when the amp is initialized that function won't work. I was told the function had been eliminated because of all the user confusion and inadvertant changing of A and B program lists.

Well guess what - I just stumbled onto the answer this weekend when trying to do something completely unrelated. It seems, the mapping function is a setable parameter and the default value is "disabled". You have to go into the "global" menu set and "enable" the mapping function. This is GREAT - the capability is there when you need it but you can disable it when you're done to prevent any unintentional changing of program lists. Peavey gets an A+++ for innovation and creativity but D- for communicating this to its users. This apparent limitation was my biggest compaint with the amp . Now I'm one happy camper and you couldn't pry this amp away from me with a crowbar . Sorry about all you guys who missed out getting one. Maybe someday you'll see one on Buy-and-Sell but don't count on it.

[This message was edited by Dave Smith on 01 January 2001 at 10:51 AM.]

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2001 1:28 pm    

Dave:

Hi ... glad you are enjoying your Peavey gear so much

Actually, Carter Steel Guitars still has 1 brand new Session 2000 for sale and a few PX300's and RC2000 remote controllers, in addition to several Nashville 1000's.

Anyone interested can come check 'em out at our showroom in Mesquite, Texas.

Ann Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars
617 West Kearney Street
Suite 101
Mesquite, Texas 75149 USA
1-800-969-7332 orders (accessories and steels)
1-972-288-9100 technical info
1-972-288-9169 FAX
www.steelguitar.com
The Steel Guitar Information Resource
www.steelguitarINFO.com
OnLine Steel Guitarists Directory
www.OnLineSteelers.com

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2001 7:41 pm    

I guess I missed out on something. Did Peavey discontinue the 2000 at the end of the year? Will they come out with a 2001?

Lee, from South Texas

Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 5:15 am    

Lee - Mike Brown informed us that Peavey had a supplier problem on a critical component and they would only be filling existing orders for the 2000. No new orders accepted. If you're thinking about getting one (I strongly urge you to consider that) you ought to snap up that one that Ann Fabian has at Carter. This is one fine amplifier - I say that in spite of the fact that mine has had to go back to the factory for repair. You can't get a better sound IMHO than with the Session 2000 / PX300 combination. Add the RC2000 and you have one killer system.

Jim McNealon

Tampa, FL, usa
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 6:35 pm    

Hi Dave,
I have a 2000, bought it in October. Its back at the factory for repair. I love the amp. I bought the PX300 & the RC2000. Its got it all, tone & power. It seems that anything you want is in there.
Mine powered off when it wanted to & finally lost power & distorted. What problems did yours have?
Even with having to return it for repair, I am anxiously waiting its return. I think that when the bugs are worked out, it will be unbeatable.

Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 5:26 am    

Hi Jim - I agree with you 100%. My problem was a simple thing like a blown diode and a capacitor in the power amp portion of the amp. Peavey service was top drawer and they turned it around promptly and under warranty. I have (or had) a StereoSteel, a TubeFex/Mosvalve 500, a Nashville 400, Session 500 and a Webb and this 2000/PX300 gives ME the best sound of anything else I've tried. Of course results will vary according to individual taste I realize.

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 5:44 am    

My 2000 is very noisy. Is everyone else's this way? If so, what do you do about recording with this amp? Do you use a noise gate for recording? Also, all the programs are not at the same volume, depending on effects used, and I keep having to play at a different spot on my volume pedal, or keep changing the master volume. The volume problem and noise are very annoying to me. I do like the tones and versatility of the amp, but I keep going back to my 1000 and Boss delay unit because of these characteristics. Does anyone else have these problems, or is it just my amp?

Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 6:35 am    

Fred - I don't have a noise problem - at least no worse than any other Peavey amp I've used. I suppose depending upon the effects you have in you program you may have to use the noise gate.

As to different volumes for different programs, if your program has the "St" steel voicing in it you can increase or decrease the volume of the program by varying the far right knob. Get the volume to the level you want and then "Save" that setting. If you aren't using the "St" in your program, you really aren't getting the full benefit from your amp.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 7:25 am    

The preset page mapping function was eliminated due to confusion when inadvertantly pressing the right arrow key, which would place the blinking cursor under the "U" on the right side of the screen. If one didn't realize that they had done this in error, they would remap their whole bank. So, we did remove this function on the Session 2000 and also the 2.0 version of the Tubefex and Transtube Fex units.

Unfortunately, our tech writer did not mention this new function in the operating guide. I apologize to all who spent much time with this. I actually stumbled across this function also. However in his defense, the Session 2000 is a computer and there are so many features to cover.

The Session 2000 is packed with electronics and the wiring harness has to be placed carefully. I suspect that if you encounter considerable noise/hiss, that the harness has moved in shipping. This can be corrected by your authorized Peavey Service Center.

Fred, I would be glad to accommodate the repair of this unit if you will give me a call at 1-877-732-8391.