Reply to topic
Author Topic:  'Vibroclone'
Johnne Lee Ables

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 7:38 am    

Hey All,

I forgot the URL!
www.tcguitar.com/articles/art3.html

This isn't where I found my article but it seems to be almost exactly the same. I believe mine came from the Usenet Amp resto
group.

J

Hamilton Barnard

Oro Valley, Arizona (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 1:16 pm    

Fender now offers reissue cabinets, baffle boards, tilt back legs and logos.

------------------
Home page.

Johnne Lee Ables

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 2:34 pm    

Ham and All,

Fender sure does make resto parts, but for what they cost you might as well pop for a real '63 or '64 mint, vintage 'Vibro'. My 'clone has a total of $288.00 invested in it. In blindfold tests, no one has been able to tell the difference when AB'd against the real thing. I can pick it out, though, but I play through it a great deal. Mine was always thought to be an original.

As much as I hate to admit it, several people thought that the Tech21 Trademark 60 they couldn't see sounded better than either the 'Clone or an original Vibro. :-(

Johnne

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 3:49 pm    

Johnne - Have you played a pedal steel through the Trademark 60? Those are great little amps, but I've never heard a steel played through one. I believe Tommy White praised those amps in a post a while back.

Lee, from South Texas

Johnne Lee Ables

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 4:12 pm    

Lee,

I don't even claim to play PSG. I do play a little slide, and I remember a couple of non-pedal licks from my long ago, youthful foray at steel, but...

The Trademark 60 was indistinguishable from two highly-respected pre-CBS Black Face Twins it was AB'd against - these were blind fold tests, BTW. I can't believe the sound of those TM60s. Of course, the PSA-1 on which the TM60 is based is simply unreal. It is probably the best preamp for obtaining all of the steel tones that seem popular.

When you remove the Tech21 nameplate most people think that the TM60 is some old Tweed amp, or a new boutique amp. We hooked a 15" cabinet to it to AB it with the Vibrasonic. When we did the Twin AB blindfold test we had the TM60 running through an additional 12" speaker cabinet that Tech21 makes. It sound so real and spongy I could even believe it myself.

I can't imagine a steel NOT sounding good through a TM60. I guess you just need to decide if you want 2-12" or a 15" sound.

All the best,

Johnne

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2000 3:55 am    

I used to have a TM60 and my steel sounded great through it. I had to sell it for financial reasons and regrettet it ever since. Only thing is, it's not really loud, but can be miked easily.
At the moment I think about buying a "cleaner" amp than my HotRod deluxe and if the prices for the TM 60 didn't went through the roof I'd strongly consider the Tech 21.

------------------
martin abend my homepage martinabend@yahoo.com
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - fender hotrod deluxe