The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedal doesn't know the words!
Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 4:32 am    

Just hums. (ba-da boomp!) Actually all 3 of my pedals hum terribly, or so I discovered in the recording studio the other day. I have 2 Fender vol/tones and a Bigsby, had to settle for the quietest one, which was still kinda loud. If you bypass the cord straight into the guitar, the hum diminishes greatly.

So I guess I'm asking for any tips, or if anyone is recommended for bringing these things back to stock and at least somewhat quiet. Thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 6:24 am    

You say you bypassed the pedal and the hum was less. I assume you used the cord that you normally use between the pedal out and the amp in. Did you try a different cord between the guitar and volume pedal(s)?? could be that cord is bad since all three act the same way.

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 11:04 am    

I`m pretty sure this is static electricity from the carpet in the studio. There`s a tip on Paul Jr.`s web site about this. I guess it`s the unshield wireing in the volume pedal that`s to blame.

Try to lift the volume pedal off the floor with volume pedal full open and you will see the hum goes away. I saw Paul Jr. used a folded piece of aluminum under his volume pedal in studio.
http://www.paul-franklin.com/talking.htm
scroll down under the C6th tuning.

I`ve done live gigs where you could hear the statics from the house speakers sparkle. It was terrible at the steel as well. I know there`s a stuff they can put on the carpet to avoid statics – this will hopefully help the volume pedal too.

My best, Dag

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 1:43 pm    

Thanks for the replies guys. Naturally we checked all the cords, used a ground lift on the amp, used a different amp, etc. Definately the volume pedal. I'll have to try the tinfoil trick next time. Actually it makes sense because it doesn't hum as bad at home. Of course at home I don't have the volume up so loud either, so who knows? Still wouldn't mind getting the pedal rebuilt by a pro - I'm sure not up for any more string tying, what a pain!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 2:01 pm    

Static won't cause a hum. It will cause a popping or snapping noise sometimes. Fender pedals (especially the volume-only pedal) are probably the best shielded in the industry, so it's not comming from them either...unless someone has "repaired" or modified it for you. How about your guitar? Have you looked to see if it uses shielded cable for all the wiring (some manufacturers don't!) You say you've checked the cords, but how long are the cords you're using? The NUMBER 1 mistake most players make is using a 10' or 15' cord when a 6' one will do. Every foot of cable...no matter how good it is, or who makes it, adds hum and kills tone! Maybe the fault is in the studio...do they use flourescent lights, or lights on dimmers? Both are a no-no when you're concerned about noise!

If nothing else works, a noise-gate, or a notch filter will reduce the problem. Any good studio should have both.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 16 December 2000 at 02:03 PM.]

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 4:13 pm    

I agree with Donny. This might help you understand hum a little better; Take a "wall wart" power adapter. While it is plugged in, take it near your pickup. The hum will get louder as you bring it closer to the pickup and strings. The hum is caused by a electro-magnetic field. The same type of field is created by anything that is powered. If I get any of my effect units near my pickups ,I can create a good hum. Lots of times electric wires are hung under floors. If you place equipment right on top of where wires are hung under a floor, you can sometimes have problems. If I were guessing, I would say there are ground loops at the studio recepticals. With ground loops lots of crazy things can happen. In a studio creating audio, all 120 volt power supplies need to be isolated and all grounds run to a central point. Static electricity from a rug might create a pop, not a hum! Most manufacturers of audio electronics install capacitors that take care of the pop caused by static electricity. Those that don't have lots of electronic failures, since it is easy to create 4,000 volts just walking across a carpet. I don't see how putting foil under a pedal would do any good. Then again, with ground loops I've seen a hum go away by just moving something a few inches. Probably the best solution to your problem is getting a good humbucking pickup.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 12:54 am    

I put a metal plate on the bottom of my pedals and they never cause a hum problem now. It also helps keep out dirt and other particules that cause problems,

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 3:19 am    

If it's a closed pedal, as many are, another piece of metal isn't going to do anything for it. All the Goodrich pedals are enclosed, as are the Fender's, Hilton, etc.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 10:29 am    

Please don'try this experiment! If your foot pedal has a open bottom, try the following. Wet a piece of thick shag carpet. Wet it like they do when they clean a carpet. Next, sprikle some metal shavings, copper chips, pieces of wire, and other conductive material on the thick shag carpet. Now push your pedal wide open, where the old pot terminals smash into the wet carpet, metal shavings, copper chips, pieces of wire and other conductive mateials. As the terminals short out in the wet carpet, and conductive materials, you may hear a hum or other wierd things. There is a reason some pedal makers enclose the bottom of their pedals.

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 17 December 2000 at 08:55 PM.]