The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  are more road players using racks or amps
Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2000 8:57 pm    

are more road players still using amps or are most switching to rack units.What are some of the more popular rack units.Seems that the tube works or stewert along with the peaveys have a lock on the power amps. I see a lot of evans and stereo steel pre amps and a lot of lexicon effects. What are some of you r observations Jeff

------------------

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 7:39 am    

Saw Buddy Emmons this summer and he had a Session 400.

John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 9:22 am    

Gary Carpenter uses his steel, a Nashville 400, and a foot volume control. It's all a matter of personal taste.

John Paul Jones

Harry Hess

Blue Bell, PA., USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 8:38 pm    

I heard that Buddy Emmons is using stereo Lexicon rev & echo (seperate units) and a korg tuner in his rack going through TWO Session 400's.

John Hughey and Herby Wallace are definitely using rack systems.

Regards,
HH

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2000 9:37 pm    

I have several different rigs...but all are based on a rack set up. Studio, tour, and club. Studio contains everything with the kitchen sink included, tour has a Peavey VMP-2 tube stereo pre-amp, Peavey TubeFex, Line 6 Pod Pro, Yamaha SPX-1000, Peavey DPC-1400, Korg DTR-1 tuner, going into 2 Peavey 1-12 cabs or 2 Peavey 1-15 cabs. The club rig is abbreviated to the VMP, TubeFex, and tuner into the very excellent Nashville 1000. I rarely need more than one, (Nashville 1000), to get my point across in a club situation.
The rack configuration will give more flexibility and definitely more approaches sound-wise. That and the fact that I have never been wild about combo-units self-contained reverb units.
If the wiring on your rack is well thought out, you save an enormous time in set up time, as well as weight considerations.
My vote.....rack 'em up!

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2000 11:11 pm    

Jimmy Day used only an amp, and got fantastic tone. I was never blessed with the "Day Touch", so I "rack 'em up also.Jody.

Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2000 10:31 am    

I use a rack rig.: 2 BW spkrs., An Evans preamp, a Peavey Profex II, a Stewart PA 1000 Pwr. amp. It works well for me. I think it's all a matter of how big the group is, and how loud they play. One thing nice about conventional amps is, that if you play through two, if one of them goes out, you still have something to fall back on. My power amp went out on me a while back, and I was SOL. I ended up using an old amp we carry on the bus as a spare, and it was horrible. Also, consider the way you personally play, yourself. If most of your playing is simple E9 single note stuff, you can probably get by with a conventional amp. If you play loud C6 chordal stuff and pop your vol. pedal frequently, you may need a little more "soup." Also, do you carry your own stuff or does someone else carry it for you. That is another consideration.

------------------

Derrell Stephens

Shreveport, La. USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2000 10:41 am    

I use my Evans rack and Evans speaker cabinets, Yamaha EMP 700 processor and a analog reverb unit. I've found nothin better yet ... to my taste.

Still use regular amps when 'jamming'. Getting back to the basics on occaision makes one clean up their picking some!

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2000 10:48 am    

Well, when we developed the Session 2000, this was an answer to our customers who wanted "all of the effects in one unit". The market tends to sway between rack units and single units every few years, so I don't think that you will ever pinpoint an answer to this question.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2000 9:59 am    

Mike....wasn't the Session 500 developed from the same concept? (i.e., in response to steelers input as to what they would like to have in an amp)? It was a great amp (I still have one)....but my point is, that after R&D identified what players said they wanted, and then Peavy built it, many players criticised it for being too heavy and didn't support the product. That must be discouraging and I hope that doesn't happen
to the 2000 because they don't like the processor or something.

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 04 December 2000 at 07:12 AM.]