Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Music-Man Tupe - Amps
Wolfgang Bednarz

97848 Rechtenbach/GERMANY
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 7:02 am    

Hello all ,
I have the change to buy a Music-Man tube
amp.It`s a 115 - HD one fifty.
I never try it out yet ,but is anyone out here who know that kind of amp and have anything to say about it (Positive or negative )Is it good for Pedalsteel ??
What is the price in the USA for this amp.
(like new conition )
Like to hear any input.

Wolf

------------------

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 7:59 am    

Tommy Detamore has one he's used some. I heard it once and I thought it was OK, but I don't think he was totally happy with it. He had an older Session 400 with a JBL the same night and we both liked it better...

It's a solid state pre-amp with a tube type power amp. Seems like a fairly good steel amp if the price is right. Maybe he'll see this post and comment. Last time I talked with him he still had it.

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 8:02 am    

Music Man Amps are were made by Leo Fender after he sold Fender To CBS. They are very close to being the same as a Fender. If it looks good and you don't hear bacon frying at half volume and you can buy it for a good price....."BUY IT". Albert Lee used them for years but I don't know if he still does.

Bob Carlson

Uff Da!

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 23 October 2000 at 09:04 AM.]

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 4:11 pm    

I have two different Music Man amplifiers and thing they are great amps. I have a 100watt version with a 12 EVM speaker and a 50 watt model with a 12 inch JBL. Both are great amps IMHO. If it works good and reasonable in price I don't think you can go wrong.

Blane Sanders

York,Co. Pa.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 9:29 pm    

Good Amps! I wish I would'nt have sold my HD 130 Head years ago. I still have a 112 RD, it's a combo w/ a 12" EV from the factory, and it will make your ears bleed! Some of (but not all) MUSIC MAN amps were all tube. If the price is right, Buy it.

Wolfgang Bednarz

97848 Rechtenbach/GERMANY
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2000 12:16 am    

Ok,
is the price $300 resonable??
The amp is in new condition have no scraches.
I will try it out next Sunday.
Wolf

------------------

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2000 4:25 am    

The Musicman amps did not have much input from Leo Fender in their design. Fender's input at Music Man was concentrated in the guitar design/construction.

For underarm guitar I always thought the small 2-10" speaker amp sounded pretty nice.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2000 4:51 am    

I still have that Music Man, but I have relegated it to electric guitar at this point. I re-tubed it with military spec NOS tubes. It was still not quite clean enough for me at the volume levels I have to play at. It sounds pretty good at lower volumes with the steel however. Dicky Overby is going to bring his Fender 400 that he just got over to try it through this amp, 'cause we're thinking that would be a good combination. I'm currently using it as a back end for a POD (for electric guitar) and I'm pretty happy with that. The amp sounds real big and fat.
You can't go wrong at $300.00 if it's loud and clean enough for you.

Tommy

Chuck Martin

Clifton, Virginia
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2000 8:47 am    

I've owned a 212 HD-150 since the early 80's and have used it for both guitar and steel and have been very happy with it. I know Mike Perlowin also uses one of the 212 Music-Man amps or used to. $300 for a HD-150 is a great price. You could always change the speaker if you prefer something more suited to steel than guitar.

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2000 4:13 pm    

BILL HATCHER....Leo Fender's trade was electroics. Fixing radio's and Amps. He never did play a guitar or anything else but didn't like the sound of any of the amps around so he designed his own. He was into amps long before guitars!

Bob Carlson

Uff Da!

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2000 5:51 pm    

Bob. HOLD ON!!!!!

I know quite a bit about Leo Fender. Spent some time with him one afternoon at a NAMM show as well as restored a bunch of Fender amps.

You may find it hard to believe but Leo Fender really did not have much to do with the amp design at MUSICMAN. Got that????? Music Man was a totally different set up than Fender. Yes he did many amp designs at Fender along with guitars. Upon selling out at Fender to CBS the agreement was that Fender would not be involved in the manufacturing of amps or guitars for a stated period of I believe 10 years or so.

When Fender decided to get back in the business some of his fellow employees came in with him. Tom Walker worked for Fender from 1948-1969. Walker is the main designer of the Music Man amp series. Granted the the influence of Fender is in there somewhere after all those years.

If you do not believe this info then just do some web searches for Music Man, Eric Clapton (Music man endorser at one time), Aspen Pitmann Tube Amp Book etc. .------sorry to burst your Fender bubble.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2000 5:34 am    

Bill is right about Leo's direct input, but they are definantly a Fender clone. I think the thing at the time (70's) was adding the master volume and preamp to dial in distortion. I have (2) of the HD-130 2-12's that I have had a long time and been happy with. The 130 with the tube preamp is the most desirable. The 150 came out after that with only solid state preamp. The music man speakers were fair, but I added evm's in one and JBL's in the other and it made a big difference.
The 150 with a good 15" speaker would make a pretty good steel amp, but tube is never as clean for steel at higher volumes. It would still be a good amp if the price is right. They are reliable, and well built.
Albert Lee used a 130 4-10, and sometimes a 130 2-10 with the hot band, and Music man with Eric Clapton as well,as did Eric, Mark Knoffler, Johnny Winter, Alabama.
Lefty

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2000 7:53 am    

Bill & Lefty,
Leo's direct input into the Musicman amps was as Lefty said, "It Was A Fender Clone". Maybe someone else was in charge of putting it togather but he darn sure didn't have to invent it! Also Leo started out with a partner and his last name started with G, thus the G & L. He sold out to Leo and he changed the G & L to stand for "Guitars by Leo.
Waiting for next reply. That's how we learn.

Bob Carlson

Uff Da!

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2000 11:38 am    

Bob. G@L does NOT stand for "Guitars by Leo". I don't know where you are getting your info about the MusicMan G@L stuff.

The "G" in G@L is Fenders long time friend and co-worker George Fullerton.

Again, Leo Fender did not design the Music Man amps. They are NOT a Fender clone. You tell me one Fender amp that uses a solid state driver section to power a tube output. Also the use of a solid state preamp section coupled with the tube output is NOT used in Fenders other amp designs. There were some horrible solid state Fender amps that Leo tried---- a failure. Leo hated them.