The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Pro-Fex II vs Tube-Fex
Al Gershen

Grants Pass, OR, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2000 8:05 pm    

Hi Group:

I've been using a Peavey Pro-Fex II for several years now and I've been very pleased with its reverb and delay sounds.

The Peavey Tube-Fex came out a few years ago and superceded the Pro-Fex II; and I believe that there are now other incarnations of these devises available from Peavey.

Can some of you who have used "both" the Pro-Fex II and the Tube-Fex provide a comparison of these devices both from features and sound qualities. Do you believe it pays to upgrade from the Pro-Fex II to a Tube-Fex? Do the patches on the Pro-Fex II work on the Tube-Fex or do they have to be modified slightly?

I look forward to your observations on this subject.

------------------
Regards,
Al Gershen
Grants Pass, Oregon. USA
Fender 1000 (1957),
Fender PS 210 (1972) &
Gibson Electraharp EH-820
(1962)
Pictures of PS 210 &
EH-820 at http://www.rvi.net/~aldg

[This message was edited by Al Gershen on 15 October 2000 at 09:07 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2000 12:26 pm    

Al, I had a Profex II and now have a Transtube Fex (the solid state version). My personal take is the Transtube Fex is what the Profex II should have been. I know there are a lot of Profex II's in use, but I hated the one I had and fought it for a year and could never get the sound I wanted. I got the Transtube Fex and within an hour of hooking it up I had it programmed.

The Tubefex model is OK if you're into tubes however I see posts about it being noisier than the Transtube Fex.

Al Gershen

Grants Pass, OR, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2000 7:23 pm    

Hi Jack Stoner:

> "...have a Transtube Fex (the solid state version)."

I'm a little confused here. Is the Transtube a solid state version of the TubeFex? If so, and the Pro-Fex II is also solid state, how does the Transtube differ from the Pro-Fex II? Do they have similar features?

I don't understand why you might experience problem with one of them and not the other?

I look forward to your continuing comments on this subject.

Regards,
Al Gershen

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2000 7:29 pm    

The TubeFex and TransTubeFex have preamps built in, while the ProFex and ProFex II don't. The ProFex's just have effects.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 2:10 am    

Al, the Transtube Fex and Tubefex are basically the same except of course the Tubefex has tubes in the analog preamp and the Transtube Fex is transistor (operating in a mode that emulates tubes). There is a slight difference in the input/output options (The transtube has a headphone output that I don't think is on the Tubefex).

The major control difference between the Profex II and the newer units is the analog preamp section with the front panel control knobs for the input/output and EQ of the analog preamp. The Transtube Fex is quieter than the Profex II. There is also line outputs on the newer units (XLR connectins) with a speaker emulation switch on the back panel.

The Tubefex lists for $200 more than the Transtube Fex.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 5:59 am    

Jim....

Quote:
The TubeFex and TransTubeFex have preamps built in, while the ProFex and ProFex II don't. The ProFex's just have effects.

I'm a bit confused here, I've had the Profex II for a couple of years now and I believe it has a pre-amp in it, as I plug directly into it and (sometimes) directly out to a power amp. In my opinion, the Profex II does have a very good pre-amp in it. I know a lot of players dosen't care for the Profex II, but I have found it to be one of the best and solid units for the steel player ever to hit the market. (No connection to the Peavey Company, as I am not in any way connected to them by employment or sales or anything. just a happy and most satisfied user.) I have gone thru a lot of rack-mounted stuff, and still believe the Profex II to be the best overall pre-amp and efx unit for the steelplayer.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 18 October 2000 at 07:00 AM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 7:09 am    

Sorry, I guess I was confused too. I gave up on Peavey gear 20 years ago and didn't know what I was talking about.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 10:27 am    

The Profex II, Tubefex and Transtube Fex are all preamps with programmable effects. The Profex was the first original multi- effects preamp that we designed, but it wasn't until the Profex II came along that steelers caught on to it as a useful tool.

As for which one is quieter, it has a lot to do with what effects are programmed in the chain and how many gain stages you have in the chain. Look at this concept like a tray full of effects pedals or what we call "stomp boxes", ie; more pedals, more noise. I personally suggest that you place gain devices such as distortion, eq's, compressor, etc., first in the chain of effects. Certain effects generally produce more noise than others, but you do have the option of using the noise gate(NG) at the end of the chain. Obtaining the right amount of attack, release and threshold is the key.

When the Profex II first came out and was being used by many of the players, their complaint was that it didn't have any control knobs on it for quick adjust. So, the Tubefex was released with data encoders to memorize settings per preset. This holds true on the Transtube Fex also. However, there are many internal differences(better specs, etc.) between all of the aforementioned products.

Personally, I have used all of the products in live settings and haven't encountered problems using any of them. Customers tell us that they have their preferences of the three units, and I personally like the Transtube Fex for steel and the Tubefex for guitar.

Jack pretty much covered some of the major differences between the units, but if you want to compare your Profex II features to the Transtube Fex and Tubefex, check out both the TTF and TF on the Peavey website at "www.peavey.com"

Or you may call me here at the Peavey factory on our toll free consumber line at 1-877-732-8391. I'll be glad to assist you.