Author Topic:  Has anyone got a country sound like brent masons for guitar
Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 1:59 pm    

I need a sound that is good for the guitar to play country ie:b mason

Blane Sanders

York,Co. Pa.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 7:25 pm    

Here's my Recipe for Brent Mason guitar sounds: Start with a GOOD made in USA Tele, the less weight the better, Maple neck, B-Bender is a nice option, Good cables, then add the all important Amplifier! There are a couple different amps that I've used to get that sound, the one I use most often is a Peavey L.A.400 W/12" E.V. Speaker(probably the best guitar amp Peavey ever made, and they quit making them.),I also like my Fender Super 60(Rack Mount Head)W/12" E.V., Messa Boogie Mark III W/Simulclass, also does a great job for this sound, and Fender Deluxe Reverb, although I run into a lot of low voltage problems with the all tube amps,ie. Fender & Boogie. I'm sure there are other amps out there that will deliver, these have always worked for me. I do'nt normally use effects on the job, but when I do, aside from the onboard reverb, I use a little compression, and some delay, but do'nt over due it, because the other 75% of the recipe is in the right hand. Brent uses a thumb pick, I use a mandoline pick. Grow your other Nails a little long, and keep them shaped with a file, then prctice Tripplets, Double Stops, Pull Offs, Hammer Ons, String Bending, and Progressions with a lot of open strings. Play agressive, but use Dynamics. Brent is one of my favorite guitarists, and if you think his Tele sounds are good, you should here him play Jazz,& Swing! I'd like to see him get on the Forum, maybe Paul could work on that.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 11:26 am    

I have a TransTube Fex. E Mail me I have a few that are just what you are looking for!

Tim

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2000 10:48 am    

My recipe is my G&L ASAT through a boss compressor, some slap-back delay, and into either my Mesa mark I w/ EVM 12-L, or my Music man HD-130 with (2) EVM 12-Ls. I have not graduated up to the multi-effects units yet, but I am curious about the sound.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2000 10:54 am    

I forgot to mention the most important aspect is a hybrid pick and finger pick combination. The partial longer nails as mentioned work for me.Practice ad practice the multiple bends, double stops, etc as mentioned by Blane.