The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Byrd
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 4:59 pm    

I did not know that Steel Hall of Fame member Jerry Byrd played a pedal that came on in reverse. I recently had a fellow order a pedal, who is a Jerry Byrd fan. He wanted the pedal to come on in reverse. I shipped it out today, after testing it. It is very, very strange trying to play a pedal that comes on in reverse. It drove me crazy testing the pedal.

------------------

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:20 pm    

Yes Keith,

His pedal has always been wired in reverse and he uses his LEFT foot also!!

carl

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:38 pm    

That makes it even stranger, because I think he is right handed.

------------------

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:55 pm    

Back when I was a teener playing a Supro lap steel in clubs in Cleveland.
I used my left foot for the volume pedal too, but not reversed.
I listened to Jerry a lot in those early years, He is a little older than I am by one year.
Then I heard Alvino Rey years later, and that started me in a new direction....al

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2000 2:13 pm    

Great taste, Al. Both of those guys are true artists.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2000 7:59 pm    

On the subject of "taste" ... the man with the super taste on pedal steel is Bill Stafford. He can bring tears to your eyes with the beauty he brings out of that axe! And I'll always cherish those great moments I actually backed him up on stage ... a fine musician and a super person.

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2000 8:25 pm    

Yes George....Bill Stafford is a super person
as well as a super picker. I have only been
acquainted with him for about a year, and I am proud to call him friend. Mr. Smooth (the nickname) is well deserved!!
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, Az

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2000 9:06 pm    

Bill, you can use the steel volume pedal to control your guitar if you will do the following. Install a input for the guitar on the steel. Then hook a double pole double throw switch. One way the guitar would be on, the other way the steel would be on. Each would be controlled by the steel guitar volume pedal. If you used a double pole tripple throw, you could turn everything off. Bill, make sure you want this before you drill into your steel guitar. Also run some test arrangements before you cut and drill.

------------------

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 7:56 am    

Couldn't the same objective be accomplished with a simple Y-plug-chord at the foot pedal?

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 3:13 pm    

The "Y" input to your volume pedal sounds like a good idea to me Bill. You could put the switch in a box with the "Y" connection.

B Bailey Brown

San Antonio, TX (USA)
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 5:43 pm    

Since I play both guitar and steel I came up with a set up years ago that works for me. First of all, I would not go drilling holes or installing things in the steel, but that is just me. I use a simple A/B homebuilt switch with 2 inputs and 1 output, controlled by a double throw toggle switch.

The “chain” runs like this:
Steel and guitar into A/B box
Output of A/B box into effects unit
Output of effects unit into volume pedal
Output of volume pedal into amp

The reason I run the chain the way I do is that I use no EQ from the effects unit on the steel. Since I play 95% steel, I set the EQ for the steel from the amp to give me the desired tone I want. I use the EQ in the effects unit on the guitar to keep from having to adjust the amp on the few songs I play guitar on.

I have seen various ways to set up the “chain” posted here, as to where the effects should go. Mine may not be the way you want to go, but it seems to work for me.

B. Bailey Brown

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 8:19 pm    

Yes, Bill Stafford is a real Artist. How many of you have his beautiful CD, "Going Home"? It is great, very original, and the interpetations of those familiar songs is just amazing!

Bill, did you get your new Christmas Album done in Grand Rapids? I was hoping to be there to watch you do your magic......al

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2000 12:22 pm    

Hi Keith, I'm the guy you made this pedal for. Sorry it was frustrating. I started using it that way about 15 years ago and found it very natural to coordinate the downward motion of my picking hand to the downward motion of my foot. The control over the dynamics of the picked note and the volume increase associated with my vibrato is very smooth with this pedal set up. I can't wait to get your product. Aloha

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2000 7:06 pm    

You should get the pedal Monday or Tuesday Rick. Your's is the first reverse pedal I have build. I had a left handed player wanting a left handed pedal recently. Most pedals are built for right hand players. Many people are left handed, including my wife and my son. Building a left handed pedal is not quite as easy as building a reverse pedal. We can build a left handed pedal, but with our present castings it requires extra machine work. Scotty is a big Jerry Bryd fan. I am going to tell Scotty he is going to have to start using a reverse pedal on his left leg. Just kidding!

------------------