The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Re-tolexing a Twin Reverb.... need help!!
Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 6:20 am    

Hi

anyone has experience with a cab-recover ???
What clue would be the best to get that Tolex onto the Twin cab? Any tricks ???

Any help would be great !!
Thanks in advance
Andy

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 6:33 am    

Heat it up in the oven first in order to stretch it tightly- but be careful not to over do it!

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 7:35 am    

I posted this a while back, might help...

http://www.b0b.com/forum/Forum5/HTML/000733.html

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 2:17 pm    

I don't think I'd want to put Tolex in my oven, but the clothes dryer on "low" might work OK.

In fact, I've used this trick to "supple" old amp covers. Pop them in the dryer, and as soon as you take them out, coat them liberally with "Armor All", or "Son of a Gun". Let them sit for a day or two, and then wipe them off good with an old turkish towel. Often, you can get another few months use out of an old dried-up cover this way.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 4:52 pm    

I always use a good contact cement (available at the Home depot, etc). It is better to make a pattern out of cheap cloth for trickier patterns to get an accurate fit. Once the pattern is set, use it to trace out onto the tolex. The bare amp should be cleaned, and lightly sanded, if need be. You apply the contact cement to both surfaces and let it stand for a few minutes. You have to be quick and carefull when applying the tolex to the cabinet because it sticks like heck. Remember to allow for underfolds, and seams. Always dry fit the piece first and work to the larger end fo dimensions because you can subtract, but not add material after cutting. Good luck, and take your time, it will be worth it.
Lefty

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 11:05 pm    

My wife doesn't care for me using it, but I use a baker's rolling pin to go over the Tolex once it is in place and wrinkle free. It really makes a good seal as it stretches the tolex and places even pressure on it.

I also use contact cement. Just be careful to not let it cure too much or as Lefty stated, it is a real bear to remove if you don't get it right the first time. Hope this helps.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 6:23 am    

A trick I learned years ago, when using contact cement, put waxed paper (like your wife uses in the kitchen) between the cabinet and the Tolex until you make sure everything is aligned like you want it. Hold the Tolex firmly, then gradually pull the paper out as you press on the Tolex. This gives you a lot better chance to get everything straight.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 6:30 am    

I've done a lot of covering using vinyl (naugahyed, etc) and I always used the 3M spray glue. Works well and is a lot more forgiving than the contact cement when positioning or repositioning and stretching. Just make sure you spray glue on both the cabinet and the covering.

I've built steel cases, seats and rack cases and never had a problem with the covering coming loose.