The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Profex 11 battery question
Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2000 6:03 pm    

My Profex has never indicated low battery, but being almost 6 years old , I am thinking about changing out the old internal battery just to be on the safe side.
I was wondering from some who have changed the battery if there are any tricks or ?? to deal with.
Also does the program banks need to be reloaded after the internal battery is disconnected, such as with the Ram card ?
Thanks to all for any Info.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2000 2:31 am    

1. If you remove the battery you WILL lose what is in user memory and it will have to be reloaded.

2. The battery is a soldered in type. It can be a little tricky unless you are experienced in PC board soldering.

If you have all of your programs backed up on a RAM card, I'd just let it go till the battery dies. If you happen to power it up and you find the user programs are gone you can still reload the programs or run the programs off of the RAM card until you get it replaced. Just make sure you carry the RAM card with you (I keep mine in my pak-a-seat).

Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2000 8:50 am    

Thanks Jack
Thats what I was wanting to know.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2000 1:53 pm    

I recently replaced the battery in my Pro-fex 11. I'm not an electronic tech, but it is not too difficult. First remove the top cover, there are two screws at each end, and one each from the front and rear panels. Next remove the piece which forms the sides and bottom cover. There are two screws at each corner, and a number of smaller screws through the bottom itself.

I bought the battery from Jameco Electronics, http://www.jameco.com/ you can order it on line, the cost is 3.95. click here You should also have a tool called a desoldering pump, Jameco also has these, click here cost is 4.95. My order was delivered in 3 days by priority mail.

I used a 25 watt soldering iron with a pointed tip. The battery is attached to the board by two brackets with three tips which extend through the board. From the bottom, heat these tips with the iron, as the solder melts, draw it away with the desoldering pump, repeat until you have removed as much of the old solder as possible. Work the battery loose from it's connections. After it's out, the holes for the connections must be cleaned out to accept the tips of the new battery. Heat and pump away any remaining solder. You may need to use a pointed tool to open the holes. With the holes open, place the new battery in place, bend the tips slightly on the bottom side of the board to hold it in place. You only need a tiny ammount of solder to attacth the battery, heat each tip and apply just enough solder to make the connections. As Jack said, you will need to reprogram the presets.

All told, it took about 40 minutes to do this, probably next time it would take half that. I think anyone with a little soldering experience could do this job. If you don't want to try it yourself, I would suggest buying the battery and having any repair shop do it. Buying the battery yourself would save you a lot of time.

I bought the Profex recently, so I don't know how old it is, but I also would suggest that there is no need to change the battery if you are not getting the "low system battery" message.

Good luck,
Bill Moore

[This message was edited by Bill Moore on 12 September 2000 at 02:56 PM.]

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2000 2:48 pm    

About 18 months ago the internal battery on my new Profex II went dead, the system went down (it was about 12 months old at the time). I sent it off to Peavey for repair since it was under warranty. I was told that the internal battery LEAKED and was no good. Peavey replaced it with a new one and in two weeks time I had it back in my rack. The only problem I have with this (I also own a new Transtubefex same battery situation)) is WHY must the battery be soldered in the first place, why not a battery that pops out like 99% of other electronic gadgets?????.
I'm relucted now to buy the 2000 since I was told that also has an internal battery inside as well. At present I am awaiting my next battery failure.

[This message was edited by Kenneth Kotsay on 12 September 2000 at 04:35 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 2:28 am    

The soldered in battery, probably, is done that way because of the portability of the unit. Musical equipment does not get the best of treatment in many cases and soldering in the battery eliminates a potential contact problem area. The battery is in there primarily to maintain the user memory (programs) so reliability of the battery connections is a prime concern and soldering it in assures contact.

The fact a unit has a soldered in backup battery would be the least of my concerns when buying something.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 5:59 am    

Quote:
The fact a unit has a soldered in backup battery would be the least of my concerns when buying something.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 13 September 2000 at 07:02 AM.]

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 2:38 pm    

Let's say your about to start a big money gig and you turn on the system, Profex II etc., and right before your very eyes the internal battery fails, guess you'll get out the old soldering iron and announce, "Hey folks there will be a delay for about an hour or two, battery problems". Sounds like curtains for you & the Profex. Another thing, does NASA have internal so;dered batteries aboard the space shuttle or other space crafts. It's the year 2000 and still the industry is soldering batteries, I wounder how the Japs would solve this "Made in U.S.A." problem.

Will the above deter me from making any more purchases from Peavey, heck no, down the road I see a new 1000 on order, it's just that industies in general don't like to make changes big or small for the consumer. Take a look at our auto industry, for years we been had by them until the Japs came along and built a better car. Results, the American car companies lost sales, the Japs gained sales, then the American auto companies woke up and started to compete with the Japs.
Come on Peavey, come up with something better than soldered internal batteries, you guys are tops for us steel players we depend on your innovations, how about a screw-in interal type battery????? maybe solar????
how about a mouse on a tread mill???

[This message was edited by Kenneth Kotsay on 13 September 2000 at 04:05 PM.]

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2000 5:29 am    

I played my ProfexII for a limited time without a battery installed. By pressing two (2) buttons together (read your manual) as you power up the unit, you have 99.9% of all settings avalable to you.

The mark of a good player is knowing your toys and how they work.