The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The difference is clear like night and day Mesa-boogie and
Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2000 5:15 pm    

I got a little on the bord side today so I went down to the local guitar center.I played my steel guitar through a Mesa-Boogie and Thouhgt I had died and gone to heaven.There is a very big difference.It is so clean,so clear,and so crisp.Know I see why everyone like Paul Franklin plays through them.I played through a "Rocket 440" and man it was awesome.The only disadvantage is the high price $899.00+ tax ,but what a big difference they make.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2000 6:24 pm    

Marty,
I play steel through a Carvin Quad X All Tube Preamp. It is fashoned after a Boogie from what I can tell. I run it into the FX loop of my Tube Fex. So I just use my Tube fex for effects only. The Carvin allows me to make EQ and Volume changes with the flip of a knobIt is a very crisp and tight sound. I hate the way my Nashville 400 sounds now that I have used this set up..

I know what you mean by the difference in the sound. It is distinctly different.

Tim

[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 01 September 2000 at 10:39 AM.]

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2000 9:39 am    

Here is a diagram of the front panel of the Carvin Preamp described above

------------------
Tim Harr

Jetdrivr

Jacksonville FL
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2000 10:00 am    

Here a note on the Boogie for you. I purchased a Boogie Mk2C Simul=class version New in 1979...Its got a 15 EV in it...YEP A 15...Hardwood cabinet,graphics...the works...Biggest little boogie ye ever saw, weighs 123 Lbs in the case....Arghhhhhhhhh...Mesa says there are 5 of these amps worldwide, and they want it back for the museum.....LOL....Not a chance!...The steel guitar sings through this baby! and the overdrive is second to none....Im Witcha on the BOOGIE train here dude...Ive got 4 of em....Mickey

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 6:15 am    

There's no question that the Mesa's are legendary amps, and have been for 25 years. Their overdriven sounds are next to perfect. I never did see the fascination everyone had for the 400's. To me, they always sounded somewhat soggy and flat. If I want one thing in an amp, it is crispness, or clarity. The 1000 is certainly a big improvement. I played through Gary Lee Gimble's a couple of weeks ago, and it's a big improvement over the old 400's tone. I didn't want to mess with his amp settings, but it was clean, and had good power.

But, these newer "digitally programmed" amps are a step backwards, to me. I can think of nothing more embarrassing than buying a new amp, and then having to ask someone how to set it up, or where to buy "programs" to get a good sound! That's not what I'd call "user friendly", or even "practical"!

I like analog controls, and all amps should now come with a good graphic EQ. After all, all the stereo systems do, don't they?

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 04 September 2000 at 07:28 AM.]

Greg Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 9:40 am    

Mesa-Boogie gets tone down better than
some of the larger companies that started
it and got sloppy. Every amp they build has
a unique voice.
For steel make sure you try one that is voiced for what you want, in other words
don't use Carlos Santa's Boogie and expect
a blackface type of tone. Maybe try the
Tremo verb for an example. They seem to
have an amp for every tone.
I tried a Mesa combo a while back that was
as good as an old Blackface Twin, not one
of their Reisue Twins, an old Blackface.
Plus you get channel switching and all kinds
of goodies on the back panel! Greg

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 4:42 pm    

Marty, have you checked ou the list peavy 1000? Not cheap! $999.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 5:05 pm    

Hey Mickey, it couldn't have been 1979, because I didn't start working at Mesa until 1980. I built those big 150 watt Mark 2C's and brought one to the ISGC in 1983. It's an incredible amplifier for steel. Maybe a bit too loud for most players, though.

Eddie K

Waverly, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2000 8:16 am    

I switched to Boogie amps about 5 years ago. I haven't found anything I like better since then.

------------------
What is that thing that you play?
members.aol.com/rndhd
www.oldfriendsband.com

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2000 1:53 pm    

Because I haven't tried a Mesa amp for steel, my question is how much does it weigh? That's the first question that I get from consumers.

Nine hundred ninety nine dollars and ninety nine cents is the MSRP for the Nashville 1000, which increased over the $629.99 MSRP of the 400. But, we added a 300 watt digital power amp, an XLR balance output and revoiced amp which accounts for part of the price increase. If the '400' continued in the product line, the MSRP would have increased even without "any" improvements as it was the only Peavey amp in the line with the older cosmetics, which cost more to manufacture because of the older cosmetic part costs. As always, we try to offer the latest technology at a reasonable price and I believe that we have accomplished this.

Try the Nashville 1000 at your favorite authorized Peavey steel dealer. You may also check out our website at www.peavey.com

Eddie K

Waverly, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2000 4:26 am    

A Boogie in a road case is way too heavy. Weight did not seem to be a design consideration.

If I had to carry it all night long instead of listening to it that would be a different matter.

------------------
What is that thing that you play?
members.aol.com/rndhd
www.oldfriendsband.com

Jetdrivr

Jacksonville FL
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2000 4:52 am    

My Mk2C isnt a 150 watt amp. Its simul-class and only producing around 65 watts...Heres the serial # 8642....If you worked for Randall im sure you could correct me on the year of manufacture