The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuners
Missy James

Kaiser MO
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2000 1:34 pm    

I've been thinking about getting a new tuner for my steel. I was thinking that it would be nice to have an in-line tuner so that I don't have to keep unplugging and replugging, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on a brand or model that they like?

------------------
I don't drink or lie, but I swear I steel!!

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2000 3:00 pm    

If you are looking for a rack mount unit I recommend the Korg DTR-1. I bought mine about a year ago and really like it. My other tuner is an old Korg WT-10a it's worked great for about 25 years.

Bill Sharpe

Hermitage, TN 37076, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2000 3:58 pm    

Missy:

Robert is right; my old Korg WT-10 is still working great. However, I've purchased 2 Korg CA-20s', and they work just fine. The price is right too; about 20 bucks, and it really will fit in your pocket

I've used them for almost year, and am pleased with the units. They're accurate, and several of the session players here in Nashburg use them as well.

Try one out and see if it meets your needs.

------------------

B#

[This message was edited by Bill Sharpe on 25 August 2000 at 04:59 PM.]

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2000 4:26 pm    

Do the smaller hand held units allow input and output to where you can leave it in line at all times? I have a DTR-1 that allows this. I don't remember my (real) old Korg allowing that. I think the handhelds are easier to use. I may go back to that type.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2000 2:00 am    

I don't like the Korg CA-20 for steel. We have one and my wife uses it with her Bass and Acoustic Guitar and it works OK for them. But for steel it's hard to use unless you tune everything at "0".

I would suggest a Boss TU12H tuner. It is accurate, small and does have the "thru" option.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2000 11:22 pm    

Missy,

I have a Seiko ST 909, it is not a rack mounted device, nice and small and has an in- and out jack, so you can have it plugged in all the time. I think it is about $75 at Scotties. I don't have experience with other tuners but I very satisfied with this one.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2000 4:48 pm    

Can you say.... Korg DTR-1 ??
Beats the others, hands down !

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2000 7:21 am    

Your best bet may be to purchase a small tuner with an analog meter such as the Boss TU12H . They fit in your Pac-a-Seat and are convenient to carry. The meter needs to have good legible markings for both cents and Hertz deviation from 440 standard. You will need to be able to read (or estimate) in 1/2 - 1 Hertz or cents increments. Be careful, most new tuners have only rough cents marking i.e. +/-10, 25 and 50 cents. Many have no hertz markings at all. Sometimes, the markings are unlabeled on the meter. Usually the cents deviation (+/- 50) is on the top of the scale and the Hertz markings (+/- 5) are underneath. If you want a top of the line handheld model ($350), get the Korg MT-1200 programmable model.

The Sabine rack mount tuners and similar chromatic models that tune with flat/on/sharp Leds are great for regular guitar players that tune only to equal temperament. They show up well on a dark stage. They do seem to have some slop (+/- 2 cents IMO) in the "in-tune" indication and don't read low bass notes very well. The small handheld Sabine tuners don't track the low steel notes and, IMO are useless. Since many steel players tune to Just Intonation or other non-Equal Temperament tunings, these tuners don't work as well for them. If all you want is a reference for the Equal Temperament reference notes ("E" on the E9th neck and the "C" on the C6th neck) and you plan to tune the other strings to Just Intonation by ear, then they will work fine for you. The Sabine tuners, (and other newer auto-chromatic) will not read the harmonics (upper partials) and tune to Just Intonation as when using the older manual chromatic tuners. They will calculate the root tone of the string and tune it to equal temperament. This would give you a full Equal Temperament tuning, i.e. unflatted thirds, G# ect.)

If you want a rack mount tuner for just intonation tuning, the Korg DTR-1 or DTR-2 series will work. They are auto chromatic and have a cents deviation scale. The Korg displays use large bright Leds and are not as easy to fine tune as are the smaller handheld needle models. Some of the older rack mounted Korg displays with red Leds wash out in sunlight. I've found that the Korg tuners can cause hum problems if you run your signal through them. I've tried hum frees, different places in the rack chain and finally removing the tuner from the rack. Nothing other than removing the ground pin from the tuner power cord works, so I run the preamp out from the MosValve power amp to the tuner. I just turn down the power amp to tune, or pop the cord to the tuner (PIA). I've found that all tuners will affect your tone if you play straight through, so get one that you can rig up off line if you don't like it.

The Peterson or Conn Strobe tuners work very well if you don't mind the size and expense. The Conn's are not auto-chromatic, but can be used to tune the harmonics easily. They are very accurate when calibrated

If you only play at home or can set up in a quite environment, an "E" and "C" tuning fork held over the pickup may be all you need. I know a good player that only uses this method.

Hope this helps you,

Bill

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2000 6:50 am    

I have yet to find a tuner that I could keep inline without affecting the tone. Perhaps a I should put another output jack on my Matchbox to drive a tuner...

By the way, I have a Williams keyless D11 (!) that has a TU12 built in to the guitar (by prev owner)- the meter is mounted between the necks. Pretty cool- and I'm amazed no steel companies have ever devised a built-in tuner.

------------------
"You call that thing a guitar?"

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2000 6:52 am    

Lynn,

can you post pictures?
Sounds really cool.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom