The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which is Better or sounds Better??
mike j

newberry springs ,calif
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2000 11:47 am    

Steel to pedal to lexicon to preamp to amp,or
Steel to preamp,preamp effects send to pedal to lexicon to preamp effects return,rreamp to amp.Just wanted some experianced feedback on the subject..thanks

Kevin Post

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2000 7:16 pm    

Run to your volume pedal first (with steel). You want your FX to be consistent.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2000 7:13 am    

Mike,

I have my Lexicon MPX 100 in the effects chains of my Evans preamp. I run from the guitar to the pedal to the preamp.

Bill

Kevin Post

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2000 6:06 am    

I'm running into volume~Boss processor~ART tube channel preamp~Nash 400 Preamp in. In between the processor and preamp, I have an AB box (morley). (A) goes to the preamp, and (B) goes to a tuner.

That way I can tune silently, and often. I check tuning on every song, I guess because I'm a little paranoid about it. Also, I use George L cable on EVERYTHING. Really cleans things up with all those connections.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2000 9:04 pm    

I'm running the output of a tube preamp into a Lexicon MPX 100, and the stereo outputs of the Lexicon directly into a stereo power amp. That way I get the separation of the stereo effects. I have to run the input level of the Lexicon real low, though, because the output of the preamp is pretty hot.

I haven't taken this rig out if the house, yet. I've only had the MPX-100 for a couple of weeks, and I'm not real familiar with it yet. I think that this setup will work fine, though.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2000 5:29 am    

Hi,

I have recently changed my setup. I run from my:
Emmons D 10 + Goodrich 7a MB + Goodrich 120 vol ped + Tubefex + Power amp in on Nashville 400s.
For the actual pre amp that i use, I have a Carvin Quad X All Tube Pre amp - this is in the FX loop of the TubeFex. SO all I use the TubeFex for is for the effects (Rev, DL, Chorusing, Tremlo, Phaser, etc...... of course not all at once! I like the Carvin All Tube Preamp because it has a 3 band parametric and/or 5 band Graphic adjustable at my fingertips & it is four channel so I can switch between guitar and steel with out changing any pre amp settings.
There is no compairison, the Carvin Pre Amp sounds head and shoulders better than the TB effect in the Tube Fex. Plus, when I change programs on the TubeFex there is no extra noise associated with the TB effect on the TubeFex.

I use a tuner often as well I have it taking a signal from the other output on my vol pedal, there is a mute button on the Carvin. Like Kevin Post I also rely on George L cable for all connections. Any other cable would be a crime, as the GL is the best I have ever heard.

Sounds like a lot of stuff but is actually is really simple and VERY quiet. All fits into a 4 sp rack.
------------------
Tim Harr

[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 22 July 2000 at 06:35 AM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2000 5:41 am    

Hey Tim--how about that. I just posted about using the Quad X over on b0b's Real Tube thread. I was sure I was the only one using one.
I am new to rack mount rigs and I have never played through any other preamp. I gather you like the Carvin. I wish I had another preamp so I could A-B them but so far I think I like this unit. The preset versatility between the 4 channels and the graphic eq sure is useful.
Do you have any tips or observations that might be helpful?

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2000 6:29 am    

Hi Jon - How about that!

Well I use the Carvin with the Channel 1 vol on 10 and I adjust the Master as to what is needed. This has helped cut down on noise, hiss, etc.....

I use the 1 st Channel for all Ped Steel and the others for Guitar. When I need to change effects I just scroll through my patches on the Tube Fex and change Pre amp channels as to which instrument I am using.

Tim

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2000 10:20 pm    

Tim, do all of your Tubefex patches include the effects loop, just so you can hear the Carvin?