The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Molex connector on a Nashville.
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 8:11 am    

Jack, the molex speaker connector on a Nashville I'm using falls out of it's socket easily. Do I just squeeze the female terminals on the molex to tighten the grip or does the connector need replacing?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 8:17 am    

Try, very carefully, to squeeze the female ends together slightly. That should help it mechanically. If not, you could melt a little solder on each male pin which will enlarge it and may help. (no comments about the male pins )

John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 8:31 am    

John, while your at it you may as well spray both male pins and, female sockets with a non-lubricant contact cleaner. Iv'e squeezed the female sockts on my Session 500, and it worked well.
John

Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 1:13 pm    

I use a very small tool like a needle but with more rigidity (so it won't break) to 're-tension' the connector's female end. Looking into the connector, it appears as if there are little circles inside. Insert the tool and slowly and carefully manipulate the tool in such a fashion to make those circles slightly smaller in diameter so they will fit snugly around the male pins. You can also use the same technique to re-tension certain tube amp sockets. (Please discharge filter caps first!) Don't forget to spray the connectors with a good quality contact cleaner prior to re-assembly. There is no reason that any amp owner (Peavey amps use molex connectors extensively) can't master this small skill.

Bob