The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George L, hip?
Kevin Post

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 6:47 am    

I've looked around at a lot of guitar players pedal boards, and they've all got my 90 degree steel guitar cables.

I've used these silly little cables for many years for everything. They really do clean up signals, especially if you have many connections. I suppose it's because they are solderless.

Apparently, a couple of years ago, one of the Guitar Mags did a cable shoot out, and George beat everyone. Go George!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 10:24 am    

To me, they are unreliable. I've had a lot of failures with them. Sure, they are easy to fix (being solderless), but my soldered cables never fail at all.

I'm moving this topic to the Electronics area, since it's not really about pedal steel.

Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 11:11 am    

Kevin,
The reason guitarists or techs use right angle plugs on pedalboards is that if a pedal is semi-permanently affixed to a board (Mine are - not all are velcro jobs) and, for some reason, you need to unplug something, to be able to unplug a 'straight' plug (as opposed to a right angle plug), the pedals would have to be a much greater distance apart from one another. Right angle plugs allow you to have the pedals relatively close together (more pedals in a smaller space) and still have maximum serviceability. BTW, if they're your cables, you should ask for them back!

What a good type of cable? New cables, generally, sound better than old cables; Short better than long. What I do: I buy a 100' roll of whatever's considered really good at the time, Mogami, Belden, whatever you like and buy some ends and make up two of everything you need. I haven't bought a cable (pre-made, from a music store) in 30 years and I was shocked for how much good cables cost (especially the Zircon-encrusted kind where the shield was specially woven by nude Scandinavian virgins in an anechoic chamber).
Don't we have better things to spend our money on? (Especially, those of us who make our living this way!!)

Bob

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 12:21 pm    

I've used George L's cable (and strings) for many years. I've had one cable end fail in 15 years. I used to use Belden 8412 cable and the George L's really brightened up the signal.

There are cheap cables on the market and very high priced ones, but the George L's works well and is reasonably priced. The electrical characteristics are extremely good.

I like the cable both from a musician and an electronics tech's viewpoint.

Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 4:23 pm    

Used them for many years and never had one failure.

Kevin Post

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 5:04 pm    

Bob,
Thanks for the reply and especially for all of the great info on blackface mods (other thread). Every year, I go buy 20' of that skinny George L cable and replace all my pedal boards connections. It costs about $10.

I use a window scraper for cutting the cables straight, which beats the heck out of soldering.