The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Price for a 12" BW?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2000 3:17 pm    

I'm thinking of upgrading the 12" Scorpions in my Peavey to Black Widows. Anybody know what these are going for now (Peavey doesn't give prices). The Scorpions have just been re-basketed...what would they be worth?

Would the B/Ws be better than EVM 12L's?

Thanks!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2000 2:11 am    

I bought two 1203 BW speakers last fall (they are the steel speaker and same as used in the Nashville 112E enclosures). I paid $110 each, which is a discounted price. I'm not sure what the actual retail price is. I went to different Peavey dealers and got anywhere from $125 down to the $110 quote for the speakers.

As far as which is better, it depends on whether you like EV or BW speakers. There's no answer to that question it's personal choice. It's like asking which is better, brand "x" or brand "y" steel guitar - the ones that like brand "x" will say it's better, the ones that like brand "y" will say its better....

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 02 July 2000 at 03:15 AM.]

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2000 4:03 am    

My vote would be for the EV EVM-12L speakers. I have owned both but the EV is my choice by a longshot.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2000 7:24 am    

Bob, I have no problem with you liking EV. But it goes back to exactly what I said. To ask which is better is a loaded question and if someone likes a certain type better than the other that is what they are going to recommend.

I like the BW better but I tried to avoid passing judgement on one or the other. A lot of it depends on how or what you play, what kind of tone you want, etc.

I don't want to be a pain in the butt but ANY question I've seen asked on the forum about "which one is better" elicits the same type of responses - those that like one brand or type will always say it's better, those that like another brand or type will always say it's better. There are no "dumb questions" but that type comes pretty close to qualifying for one.

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 02 July 2000 at 08:25 AM.]

Blane Sanders

York,Co. Pa.
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2000 1:11 pm    

My vote goes to the EV,that is if you don't mind the extra weight! I've used all three of the speakers you mentioned, and the amps always seem more responsive and less colored with the EV's.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2000 4:43 pm    

Thanks for the responses guys! Jack...you're right, lotta different opinions out there, and THAT'S why I'm asking...to get those "opinions".

Actually a sound engineer once told me "If you want a GOOD speaker, look for a cast frame, stamped steel spells CHEAP!" I don't know about that, but I do know the EV's are very efficient (but HEAVY, like Blane says.)

Thanks again!

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 7:59 am    

Hello Donny,
Thanks for inquring about the Peavey Black Widow speakers. Although we don't support online sales, we have always supplied printed manufacturers suggested retail price lists and I will gladly send you one through the U.S. Mail.

The suggested retail prices for the various sizes of BW speakers are as follows;
12" BW-$149.99, 15" BW-$165.99 and the 18" BW is $185.99. Some manufacturers do not provide this service to potential customers, so their dealers can set the prices at any level that they wish. How many times have you seen printed suggested retail price lists at your local dealer? Probably very few times, if any. However, since Hartley Peavey first established his product line, he has been one of the few manufacturers to provide this service.

If you will e-mail your mailing address to me here at the factory, I will be glad to send you our latest price list. My e-mail address is "mikebrown@peavey.com". Please let me know if I can be of assistance.