The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Korg Pandora PX-3
David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 6:34 am    

This is a "personal effects" device that I am using. I use it with earphones to practice at home. It has an un-programable set of rhythm tracks (I don't use them much) a metronome (I use all the time) and input for other tracks or recordings etc if you want to play along.

It is an expensive way to go if you just want to practice with earphones, but if you are willing to spend the money, you can sure get great tone from it. You can program several preset effects combinations with multiple level adjustment to get just the sound you want to your earphones.

It has other features such as the ability to record and loop an 8 second lick or riff. You can slow it down to 25% speed although quality can deteriorate noticably.

All in all, I use it a great deal for practice at home so it is worth it to me to have a great tone in my earphones with nice sustain, a little chorus, some cabinet, and reverb. All programmed and named so all I have to do is dial in "STEEL1", "STEEL2" etc.

Have others found this device useful and if so, what features do you use?

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 5:06 pm    

I purchased a Pardoras Box back in March and been thrilled with it ever since. I also use headphones which sounds greater than using any of my 4 peavey amps and effects while I practice at home. The sound I hear using headphones is much more balanced, clean and brighter. The guitar effects, presets and different tracks are wild and out of this world. I highly suggest to anyone to go out and purchase one of these gizmos.

By the way Dave what settings etc., are you using for, STEEL 1 & STEEEL 2 ??????
How do you like the BLUES track.
The rock effects are wild, I sound like VAN HALEN or some heavey metal guitarist when I play along with my pedal steel.

[This message was edited by Kenneth Kotsay on 09 June 2000 at 06:07 PM.]

[This message was edited by Kenneth Kotsay on 10 June 2000 at 11:50 AM.]

[This message was edited by Kenneth Kotsay on 10 June 2000 at 11:54 AM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 10:39 am    

I have a Pandora PX-2. Here are my settings:
 Name   |  DRIVE  |Low Hi|    MOD   |   AMB   |   CR    | NR |LEVEL|

-------|---------|------|----------|---------|---------|----|-----|
TREMBLY| OFF |-5 5|TREM1 21|ECHO1 21|COMBO2 3| 10 | 22 |
AIRY |COMP 2| 5 5|CHORUS2 11|ECHO6 20| OFF | 8 | 6 |
PHASAR | OFF | 0 5|PHASER1 6|ECHO3 15|STACK2 4| 10 | 30 |
WET | OFF |12 12| OFF |ECHO2 22| OFF | 10 | 30 |
STEEL | OFF | 6 8| OFF |HALL 19| OFF | 4 | 30 |
SLAP | OFF | 8 8| OFF |ECHO2 20|STACK2 5| 5 | 30 |
SIXTH |COMP 4| 9 -9|CHORUS4 1|DELAY2 10| OFF | 10 | 17 |
BOOGIE |CRUSH 1|12 -6| OFF |ECHO3 8|STACK2 6| 0 | 15 |
BRICK |SCREAM 20|10 -12| OFF |DELAY3 30|STACK2 5| 14 | 12 |
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 10:46 am    

Those settings are for use with my Shields dual-range pickup. You will probably want to adjust the Hi and Lo tone settings to match your own pickup.

The "Boogie" setting comes real close to the tone I like from my Mesa Boogie amp. I developed it by having the Boogie set up, and running the Pandora into my Webb. I kept fooling with the controls until I got as close as possible.

I've used a Y cable out of the headphone jack to run the Pandora into two amplifiers on stage. It works pretty good for those rock-and-roll gigs where you need to get a lot of different sounds.

David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 1:37 pm    

Name   |  DRIVE  |Low Hi|    MOD   |   AMB   |   CR    | NR |LEVEL|

-------|---------|------|----------|---------|---------|----|-----|
STEEL1 |COMP 21 | 2 5|CHORUS1 10|GARAG1 13|4X 12 | 20 | 30 |
STEEL2 |COMP 21 | 6 0|FX OFF |GARAG1 30|4X 12 | 30 | 30
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my settings. I seem to like STEEL2 better. That's all I use right now. I use a Hilton pedal on a Sho-Bud at home. My "amp-able" (domestic tranquility) guitar is going to get a Session 2000 that is on it's way. It has effects so I don't imagine I will need the Pandora with it.

Truth is, I have used the rhythm tracks very little. Still beginning on some things so I practice with the metronome at home. Tracks on the other guitar.

I am building a 'studio' so the costs could get ugly soon. A common acquintance is an old 'Dead Head' roadie and my friend is making the connection for me to get some help. I'm still learning.

[This message was edited by David Weaver on 11 June 2000 at 02:43 PM.]

[This message was edited by David Weaver on 11 June 2000 at 02:43 PM.]

David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 1:45 pm    

P.S.

Thanks Bob Lee, for the detailed chart. I will copy it for reference and try some of these.

David Weaver...

Kenneth Kotsay

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 2:12 pm    

DAVID - Thanks for the settings, now all I need to do is enter them into the my Pandora's PX-3.
Again, I'll need your help on how to accomplish this.

[This message was edited by Kenneth Kotsay on 11 June 2000 at 03:14 PM.]

[This message was edited by Kenneth Kotsay on 11 June 2000 at 03:15 PM.]

David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 4:41 am    

1. Dial to an effect you don't want to use. "Summer" or one of those.
2. Press the button that has the right arrow once. You will get the first effect setting.
3. You have to play with it to get understand it...(or worse yet, use the manual!) But you adjust the effect with the up and down button and the level with the dial.
4. Press the right arrow again and you get the next effect. Press up once to get the HI and down to get the LOW. Then adjust level.
5. Go through all the effects this way. Once you are through the effects, you will get the name of the program. It may be SUMMER with the "S" flashing. You can change the letter by using the dial (or maybe the up-down...try it)
6. I spell out STEEL1 for the first one. When done, press the right arrow again and it will say "WRITE". To record the program, you press the button left of the LEFT button. I forget what the screen says after writing, but it will be obvious that it has been entered. Now, you will not find "SUMMER" as an effect but you will have "STEEL1" or whatever exchange you made in place.

Sorry, I don't have the device in front of me and I don't have the manual here either, so I'm not dead sure of what I am saying, but I think you will get the drift. I am going to be out of touch for about 3 weeks, and I can help when I get back, but I think with a little 'messin' with it and some setting such as I have posted and b0b has posted, you will find your own 'sound'.

Kenneth Kotsay

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 3:19 pm    

Dave - I was able to enter STEEL 1 into my Pandoras Box, sounds great although I did change a few settings but it's working great, thanks for your help.