The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording direct into the board
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2000 5:39 pm    

I was wondering if I could get a few opinions about recording direct into the console as compared to mic'ing one's amplifier. With my home setup, I run my MSA U12 through a Lexicon MPX 100 into my hard disk recorder, and I rather like the sound. Has anyone made the comparison between the sound of their own PSG with direct recording versus mic'ed amplifier recording? Which do you prefer?

------------------
Bill * MSA Classic U12 * email * homepage

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2000 7:51 pm    

well Bill, I tried plugging into a standard redwood 2x4, but found that a 1x6 oak board sounded a whole lot better. See ya next Sunday pal.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 2:16 am    

I haven't compared miked to direct, however, the last session I did, 5 of the tracks were done running from the preamp out on my Nashville 400 through a D.I. box to the board and the rest were done using my Transtube Fex 600 ohm line out with the speaker emulator set on two 12" speakers direct to the board. The Transtube Fex feed was so much better that any future sessions I do will be done with the Transtube Fex.

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 6:27 am    

Thanks, Jack. I know some folks like the sound of their amps so much (part of the instrument) that mic'ing is the only way. (Then you need to pick the right mic....) But I'm pretty pleased with the MSA's sound straight in. One of these days, should I ever have money just falling out of my pockets , I'll try on some of those tube/speaker emulators. (Does anyone make an effects box which can make me sound like I actually know how to play pedal steel?)

Richard, "board" or "bored" or whatever.... don't get me started. And you're in trouble now, 'cuz I found a way to use the MPX100 to detune my playing, so I can sound worse than ever. Ha!

------------------
Bill * MSA Classic U12 * email * homepage