The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JBL D130 's
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 6:45 pm    

Hi folks, my '95 webb has a E130. A local music store is asking $200 for a JBL D130. I'm currious about any variation in tone it might offer. I know there hard to find so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Rick Wright

nash, tn.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 8:54 pm    

The e130 is a more natural sounding speaker, packs alot of power with roundness. the jbl is power productive, harsher, and punchier. The price depends on were you live. The e130's are harder to get in the central,. just depends on taste. $200 is avery good fair price, if the speaker is in good shape!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 10:33 pm    

Steve most likely that D-130 is a 8ohm speaker unless redone to 4ohm. You don't want to put a 8ohm speaker in a single amp.
Yeah 200.00 is a good deal but if you have to get it reconed to 4ohm; you will pay that same amount to get it done. But if you want to put that 8ohm in a cab along side another 8ohm and both ran by an amp; that would work fine; because two 8ohms=4ohm load on amp.
Oh in answer to your question; I just played through a E-130 this week and love it. It offers everytone I threw at it and responded with pure clearity in full range. I haven't put a D-130 in my amp yet; but my good friend Marty Muse has one in his amp; which is set up like mine; and it sound dang fine too.
Have fun.

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 5:52 am    

Make SURE that the speaker is a D130 "F!" If it is a straight D130 (non F) you CANNOT recone it. The gape is too narrow for any modern cones to fit, I'm told. Call Woody Waddell at Benchcraft Electronics in Goodlettsville, TN. I have used him for over 30 years for all speaker reconing involving Lansings. He knows 'em. His # is 615-851-7058.

In the for what it's worth department, I use a Black Widow in my Webb amp. I actually like it better than the JBL in that amp. I still use JBL's in my two ShoBud amps. They are 8 ohm speakers. The Webb does use 4 ohms, and BW's are lots easier to find, and to me sound as good if not better in that application.

[This message was edited by Chick Donner on 13 April 2000 at 06:53 AM.]

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 9:14 pm    

My old D130 is a 4 ohm, and my E130 is an 8 ohm. I can't tell much difference in the tone, but I've had a slight power loss with the E.

To me, the Black Widow is too harsh compared to the JBL's.

[This message was edited by Kenny Davis on 13 April 2000 at 10:14 PM.]

emil noothout

Amsterdam, Netherlands
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2000 5:10 am    

Ricky Davis, why not put an 8 ohm speaker in an single speaker amp?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2000 11:07 am    

If the single amp is rated to a 8ohm load; than that would be fine. Most likely the amp is rated to a 4ohm load though and you either need two 8ohm speakers or one 4ohm speaker to fullfill that load. If you put a 8ohm speaker in a amp with a 4ohm load; you will have quite a power loss. I hope that helps.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
sshawaiian@aol.com

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2000 12:50 pm    

Hey Ricky,

(I think...)
Most of those Fenders you play through originally had 8 ohms speakers loads. They would run down to 4 ohms with the ext cab. But if you don't intend on using a ext cab, a 4 ohm speaker would be more efficient.

Just a thought!

[This message was edited by Joe E on 14 April 2000 at 01:51 PM.]

Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 5:42 am    

So how much would you say is quite a lot of power loss???
50 per cent? Lets say I put a 8 Ohm speaker in a 100 Watt amp that needs a 4 Ohm, what will it be?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2000 12:11 am    

Hey Joe none of my fenders have ever been 8ohm speaker load. All of them have been 4ohms and everyone of them I've had had two 8ohm speakers in them and two 8ohm speakers equal a 4ohm load.
Hey Tele; My guys have told me somewhere between a 25 to 50% power loss and it really depends on the power tubes that are in there; so very hard to pinpoint exact percent of loss. You can always try a 100 tube amp with a 8ohm speaker in it and for what you are trying to do; it may work; you just have to hear for yourself. But if you are wanting any kinda projection of sound; you probably won't like it. Have fun.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
sshawaiian@aol.com

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2000 10:26 am    

I wouldn't recommend putting a D-130 in a Webb. The E-130 has much greater power handling capacity, the D-130 can handle a twin just fine, but a 200+ watt transistor power amp might blow it.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com