The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pro Fex with Nashville and Vegas 400's
Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2000 9:18 pm    

Recently purdhased a Pro Fex II and have tried it with my Nash400 and Veg400 in stereo.

So far I have not found any thing close to the sound I hear from those using the rack mount 750's,1000's or DPC 1400's with external 15" speakers.

I have the Newman settings but they don't seem to sound good with my set up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 3:10 am    

I think it's the different frequency response of the separate power amps. I'm using a MosValve 500 and two Peavey 12" speakers with my Transtube Fex and it's far superior to running the TT Fex into the power amp of a Nashville and a Session 400 as I had did initially.

Also, I've found most of the Newman programs too bassy for me, but they do sound better with 12" speaker systems (that's what Jeff uses).

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 24 March 2000 at 03:12 AM.]

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 9:29 am    

Hi Louie,
I think we met at a Ricky Davis seminar in Austin a while back. How's north Texas???

I use a Profex I, which is very similar to a Profex II, especially the EQ and processing sections. I found the Newman patches to be a good starting point for the time-based effects, reverb and delay, but the EQ was pretty much all wrong for my setup.

I ended up plugging the output of the Profex into the front panel input jack of the Nashville instead of the power amp input on the back. It was easier to adjust tone on stage that way than trying to deal with the edit menu on the Profex. As it turned out, I hit a combination of Profex eq + Nashville eq that really sounded good.

Some would probably disagree with plugging the Profex in the front input, but it worked for me.

Bill

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Garry Pugh

Nashville Indiana
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 1:02 pm    

I have owned several Profex II's and they don't all sound the same. What you might try is deleting the effects from your Profex program and using the EQ on your amps.

I have a Vegas and Nashville which I had Peavey do factory mods on, so the eq is pretty good. Lately I have been using those amps, plugged in the front, and the Profex without the eq.

It's totally a matter of preference but I have owned at one time or another a MosValve 500, Stewart PA 1000 and a DPC 1000, in combination with a Profex II, TT FEX and various combination of speakers and I always end up going back to the the Vegas and Nashville.

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 6:35 pm    

Louie: I had a similar experience with my ProfexII and a pair of Nashvilles. I put the LeMay mod kit in the Profex and that largely (a gross understatement) cured the problem. After having re-done the EQ's in most of the Newman presets, I went back to the original EQ settings. I also play a rack system with the Profex and a DPC-750 thru Nashville 115's. They both sound good now, but the Mod made the difference.