The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fx
D Jenkins

England
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2000 2:29 pm    

So you guys tell me that a Fender Twin Reverb is a good amp for steel and the ideal combo for steel/guitar. What do I need to put between the steel and the amp to make a really neat sound? You'll gather from the question that I'm pretty new to steel guitar....but spirited and willing to spend a few hundred poounds to make this thing sing!

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2000 3:49 pm    

Well I am not one of the guys that says a twin Reverb is a good amp for PSG. Certainly not for an Emmons. I have a twin reverb and a Peavey Nashville 400.

There simply is no comparison, the Peavey has the sound, hands down, IMHO. And when one considers the stage at most every steel show I think it bears out my opinion. Never saw one yet with 10 Fender Twin reverbs across the stage.

Come to think of it, it is rare indeed to see any other amp but a Peavey up there.

Got to be a reason.

I do believe that prior to pedals and with steels like Gibson Console Grandes, bakelite Rickenbachers, Fender lap and legged steels, the Fender twins, deluxes, etc. were great.

But with today's modern PSG's, there just is not a better amp than a Peavey for most players. And the Nashville 400 is one of the finest of these. I have not heard or played thru one of their newer amps. But I imagine they are super!

My opinion of course.

Walk with Jesus and all things will be good,

carl

Jeff Heard

Lopez Island, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2000 4:43 pm    

I have both a Fender Twin and a Peavey Session 400 Limited with a Lemay mod. Both are fine amps for steel, although the twin, with 2x12" speakers, has less bottom end. I have plugged my 15" Black Widow into the Twin and it sounded fantastic. I should note that the Peavey is more reliable. It sounds great after having the mod installed. Before the mod, it had a rather nasally midrange.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2000 4:57 pm    

I guess it depends on what you consider "a really neat sound". At times I use overdrive and a phaser on my non-pedal steel guitars, and I think I get a really neat sound.
What sort of sound do you want to get? That will determine what else to put in your signal chain (i.e. between the guitar and the amp).

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2000 8:03 am    

Thanks for your input concerning Peavey amplifiers. I've said it before and I believe that it is worth repeating.............Peavey Electronics is the only major manufacturer is still supporting the steel guitar player. For over 25 years we have been building the best steel guitar amps ever made. Check out our website at "www.peavey.com" to participate in our STEEL GUITAR PRODUCTS Interactive Forum and view our latest steel guitar amplification products. Opening soon on the STEEL GUITAR PRODUCT section will be the "Exhibit Hall". For more information, you may contact me toll free at 1-877-732-8391 and I'll be glad to assist.