The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another reverb ?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2000 6:07 pm    

Some amp manufacturors attach the reverb tank on the side of the amp in a verticle position. Is there a diffence in reverb tone & responce with the reverb tank in that position?

[This message was edited by Len Amaral on 07 February 2000 at 06:07 PM.]

[This message was edited by Len Amaral on 10 February 2000 at 05:38 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2000 2:45 am    

I don't know for sure, but my personal thought is vertical will affect the reverb's mechanical movement of the spring(s). I've never put two side by side and did an analysis with a scope to see if there is any real difference. I would also suspect that over time metal fatigue or sagging of the springs would be greater in the vertical position.

Generally, reverb units are mounted horizontally in the bottom of the amp cabinet as that is where there is space to mount it.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2000 8:45 am    

Turn your amp sideways and listen.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 7:18 pm    

quote from road runner, (above)

"the reverb sounded like a thunder storm,poping and cracking,"

Thats why I went to a ProfexII. I played a gig one time where we were set up on a Hay Wagon. Once the drummer got to going, Mine and the Lead Guitar player's amp really got to raisin' cain. It was the spring units.

I tell this story to keep you from makeing a mistake in selling your ProfexII, then regretting it later.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 8:23 pm    

EB - I like your way of thinking! Sometimes we just make things too darn complicated. It reminds me of the story about all the money NASA spent in developing a pen that would write in zero gravity. The Russians solved the problem by using pencils.

I like the KISS principal.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Lee, from South Texas

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 7:31 am    

Way to go Earnest!
I guess I was too close to the forest to see the trees! I'm glad I didn't ask how many steel players it takes to screw in a light bulb?

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2000 5:34 pm    

It takes 7 steel players to change the light bulb. 1 changes it, the others stand around and say: Shoot, I can do that!

Dave Kocher

MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2000 5:29 pm    

Len:
Spring reverbs are adjusted at the factory for the expected mounting position. This is done to ensure the little torsion magnets that generate and pick up the motion are centered between the pole pieces under the influence of gravity. Other considerations aside, I think the manufacturers of the reverb would prefer to mount them vertically so gravity would not affect the location of the magnet in the pole piece space. But there are many other considerations that must affect the choice of location during amplifier design, such as power transformer hum pickup, for instance.
I found much useful information, including an explanation of their part numbering scheme in the booklet "Accutronics Reverb", which I obtained from the manufacturer,

Sound Enhancements, Inc
185 Detroit Street
Cary, Illinois 60013
Tel.847-639-4646 Fax.847-639-4723

------------------
-Dave Kocher

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 7:16 am    

Hello Dave:
Thanks for the information! It's always good to hear from another player from Massachusettes.
Len Amraral

Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 7:29 am    

A few years ago I bought an Emmons amplifier and the reverb is really the only thing I can slightly complain about. The reverb in these amps are very touchy and the mounting location was wrong. They were mounted to close to the power transformer and hummed a lot. I placed the reverb as far away from the transformer as possible and replaced the input, output wires with George L cables. Cleaned the sound up considerably. With respect to mounting I believe horizontal is best because the gravitational pull is equal in all directions on the springs and is a lot less stressful on them when travelling.
Hope this helps.