The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rv-3 ???
Andy Schick

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2000 8:27 am    

Just wondering what opinions are out there on the Boss RV-3 stomp box. What are pro's and con's? Looking for something smallar for those fly gigs.Thanks in advance. Andy

------------------

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2000 9:04 am    

Andy, for the size and ease of use, I don't think you can beat a RV-3. I've been using a RV-3 for several months, and really like it.
No need to carry around a rack, just stow it in your seat. I just sold my QuadraVerb that I was using. I also made a holder for it so I could attach it to the guitar's leg, which makes for easier use. I have a LeGrandeIII and use a Evans Amp, without any reverb, and my RV-3.It works for me!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2000 10:45 am    

Thumbs up here too. You ought to do a search on this because there have been several discussions recently. I don't use delay so I can only comment on the reverb. I like it. And I also clamp it to the guitar leg. The advice I got before buying it was to be sure to get the AC adapter too because it is a battery eater.

Moon in Alaska

Kasilof, Alaska * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2000 11:09 am    

Andy, I have use one for a couple of year and like it. I don't have a lot of experience with others, but the RV-3 sounds good ! I never have liked both reverb and delay, but really enjoy turning off my Evans reverb and just using delay. Normally I use about 125 mil sec and a single delay set at about 50 percent. One other thing, be sure you get the approved AC supply, as in another thread some of the guys had some hum in some other supplies !!

------------------
<< Moon Mullin in Alaska >>
==Carter S-10==
<< Old Fender-400 >>
== Evans FET 500 Custom LV ==

Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2000 12:10 pm    

Well, boy, I guess I'm gonna be the fly in the ointment. I don't like it all that well.
A friend of mine has one, and I use it occasionally. I can't seem to find a delay that I like. Actually it's the tone of the delay that I don't like. I seem to get a chorusie kinda thing happening, and I just don't like the dryness of the thing. I know my way around digital effects pretty well, so it's not experience, it's just a subjective thing with me. I am currently using a Roland digital delay, and I love it.

Last night, I plugged the RV 3 up, and before I got to the 2nd tune I was back on my Roland.

It just seems that the RV 3 is very dry.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2000 1:25 pm    

If you want a tiny (6"X 5") reverb that's
a bit smoother & more realistic, pick up
an Alesis Nanoverb. You get 'em brand new
for under a 100 bucks (or on ebay for even
less!). It's also got delay settings, chorus, & a rotary simulator to fool around with also. It comes with a power supply
already!

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2000 1:37 pm    

Nothing takes the place of a good rack type reverb.But, if you need simplicity and portability the RV-3 is great. I always keep one with me for a lot of reasons. One good reason though is for those times when you are out on the road playing on a stage where everything sets off your amp reverb (like drummers, big feet, you know what I mean!) For a "stomper" they're hard to beat.