The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bypass EQ on Profex II
Jim Florence

wilburton, Ok. US * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2000 9:59 pm    

I've bought a Profex II, and I'm told {here on the forum] that I can bypass the EQ on the profex. My amp doesn't have an effects loop. Right now I'm going from guitar to volume pedal, then input of profex. get a lot of hum, etc. Any help appreciated.
Jim

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 4:39 am    

Try setting the EQ flat (e.g. the 3B parameter) if you want to use the input on the amp. However, if you have a power amp in jack on your amp, plug the Profex II into that and use the preamp/EQ in the Profex II.

As far as the hum, it's probably a "ground loop hum". If the Profex II is in a rack with other equipment one of the other units may be causing the ground problem through the mounting rails - remove the Profex II from the rack and make sure it's not contacting any other metallic object and see what happens.

If not in a rack, try removing the ground from the amp (use an adapter AC power plug).

John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 5:48 am    

Jim
In addition to what Jack suggested, you might try moving the power adapter for the Profex as far away, from both your guitar's
pickup/s and the Profex itself, as you can get it. That adapter was 95% of the hum problem
I had when I was using the Profex unit.

Those power adapters ( also known as "wall warts" )are a real pain . I wish Peavey had
decided to originally construct the unit with an internal power supply . I think it would have made it more "user friendly" by eliminating most ,if not all ,of the unit's hum problem that most user's have been faced with .

Hope this helps ! Good luck!!!

John