The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  digitech
dana Murphy

clarksburg wv usa
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2000 12:55 pm    

Enyone out there geting a good tone out of a 2112 processor? am thanking about buying one Thanks Dana

Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2000 2:00 pm    

As far as I can see, you can get any tone you want out it, good or not is up to you.

I've been using mine for DI recording and as a compact effects rack on stage. It will do anything, but editing on the fly is not one of it's strong points. You need to spend some time working up your patches, (and they will be different between amps), and then just tweek the tone controls on the amp for the room.

One thing I haven't done yet is try it in stereo on stage. It's got some great features for stereo that I've used direct, and I'm sure there are some neat things I haven't thought of for a power amp and a couple of speakers. I'd be real interested in hearing anyone who has tried this.

BTW, don't worry much if you don't get the Control 1 foot controller. I have it, can't figure out what I'd want it for with a steel and only marginally interested in it for guitar. If you can save a few bucks by skipping the pedal, you probably won't miss it much. (...and you want to pick up one up real reasonable, click my email profile. )

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2000 8:32 am    

Dana/Paul
I've used a 2112 for recording and live work for almost two years and I've looked at TubeWorks, Evans, and Mesa/Boogie preamps and I like the 2112 best for the preamp features, but the effects are really good too. Like any complex piece of equipment, getting the right settings for all the features you use (e.g., EQ, compression, delay, etc.) will take time and experimentation. I started with a couple of patches Buddy Emmons sent me and quickly realized what worked for him didn't work well for me. You gotta spend the time to make the investment pay off and if you're a plug 'n' play player who just wants to dial in Treble, Bass, and Midrange and go, the 2112 may not be for you.

More info:
http://www.net-link.net/~ltbell/2112_intro.html

EMail me for more info if you like.

LTB

Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2000 6:08 pm    

Dana et al,
I play through the Digitech 2101, an antique by now I guess. I run through an ADA Microtube 200 out into a Peavey 115e and 410e Tweed Cabs. I always get great reviews on my sound! I'm not familiar with the 2112, but I think it has a few knobs on the front for quick tweeking. The parameters are a pain, but over time you can get it down pretty fast. Also, my 2101 has a Global EQ which is great for different venues. You can shape your sound to match the quirkyness of each room and it controls the final out of all your programs. It also works great for Guitar and lap steel, etc.
Pat

PS Paul, check your e-mail

Chris Lang

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2000 6:55 pm    

How about trying the BOSS VF-1, I hear that it is really good for steel. I had GX 700 at one time and sold it...The VF-1 is supposed to be great sounding and very user friendly.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 6:23 am    

Dana,
Chris' reply brings up an important question:
Are you looking for a Preamp, a Preamp with Effects, or a Multi-Effects unit? The 2112 can be used as all three, but I would think it's prohibitively expensive if all you need is effects.

If you plan to use a rack mounted amp (e.g., MosValve or Stewart) you will need a preamp. That's the principal reason I chose the 2112 -- the tube preamp adds some of those tube 'warm fuzzies' to the sound. I have lots of effects units, but I like having the preamp and most of the effects in one rack mounted box (I do use a separate reverb, but only for the ability to tweak on stage).

LTB

Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 11:43 pm    

Paul,
check your email

Pat