The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which Evans amp do you recommend?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2000 9:16 pm    

Am considering an Evans. Which do you recommend and why? Portability is an issue, but not the only factor. Thanks.

P Perry

Lebanon, OH, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2000 7:57 am    

I Love My FET-500 it is one fine amp.

Rex Blevins

Jenks, Oklahoma USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2000 12:36 pm    

My suggestion to tone, volume and overall pleasure would be to follow the trend. Have a Line 6 POD or Evans pre amp, go direct, get a set of PIEM and enjoy playing while saving your' ears.
It is totally nice to have very if any volume on stage and for once " Listen ": to the music being created..
Take a look around at everyone going direct, it is gaining momentum daily, example, Clint Black, ALL ARE DIRECT...

Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2000 6:58 pm    

I don't have a lot of different Evans models that I have tried, so maybe I'm kind of myopic here. My FET 500 is only slightly lighter than my Nashville 400, but the difference in string separation and overall tone was truly amazing. The Evans is much sharper and cleaner to my ear. This required me to radically rethink my settings and I've brought most of them to near flat with the exception of less midrange, (my P/P has all the mids in the world.) I love the pre-amp and power amp not being so closely coupled that I have to watch the ratio between the gains or else distort, (a common problem with my Peavy.) And as others noted, I've got head room to spare.

Now to be fair, I grade my amp performance at the lower power ranges. We seldom play a big room without miking the amps, so it's reduced on stage to monitor levels. You might run into some things at higher power that I never see because of my usage. But for my use on stage, smaller rooms, and to mike up with an old 57, it's a hard amp to beat. You should have great luck with it for your C6th swing work, all clean / no mud.

FWIW. Paul

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2000 8:27 pm    

Thanks for the comments, guys. Keep 'em comin'. I'm learning from every one!
By the way, can someone explain to me what the significance of the "High Voltage" preamp option is? Is it worth paying extra for?
Thanks,
Jim

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 7:31 am    

Yep, everything John has said is correct.
I have been using Evans amps for as long as anyone except for Darrell Stephens and a few others, I suppose. When I heard that Darrell was selling the company, I asked him to build me two amps before he finalized the sale. He did, and that is what I am using now and they perform very well. They are the FET 500 with the large cabinets. I use their special made speakers and am very happy with their sound. (I used to specify JBLs but I learned there are other speakers available today that work very well). I am completely happy with my amps and have been for decades.
I have faithfully, and fairly, tried all the other brands but none come tup to the quality and dependability of my two Darrell Stephens made Evans Amplifiers.
As John has stated, I asked for and received a demo, with my guitar, of the new Evans amps at the last St. Louis show. Ed, the new owner set up his ampas for me to be the same as I have mine and the new amps suprised both Ed and myself in the distortion in the chord structure of the sound. Ed then came over to my booth and listened to my old FET 500', with the gain of both controls, pre and post volumn, only set no higher than two. I am still using my older models and now I see than changes have been made by Ed. I have not tried the new design, but hope to in Dallas. Will let you all know.
In the meanwhile, listen to John. He is probably the very best amplifier technician/engineer in the world. He could satisfy Chalker. No other comments could ever be higher in his, John's ability to work on amps, etc. Great musician also. Thanks for all the nice words, John.
Thanks guys for this space.
Bill Stafford

John Lazarus

Tucson, AZ.
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 10:55 am    

Jim, Since you've got my Fessenden on the way, you might as well get an amp like the Evans FET 500 LV's I have been playing it through. I own two: a mid- era built during the Evans Shreveport period, and an early one built in Texarkana and originally used by the Ricky Skaggs Band. Both are great and bring the best out in every steel I have tried through them. I have Peavey 1501-4's in both because they are good, relatively inexpensive and easy to find parts for and repair.
Used with a PV Tubefex, I get a very light and flexible stage set up with a tube pre-amp, tuner and lots of programable effects. I mike it when needed.
By the way, the Fessenden and the Evans alone make a formidable combination without any added effects beyond the amp's reverb. I always use input two and play through a Goodrich 6A matchbox.