The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaiian/Tone
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2001 11:10 am    

Yes, that word "tone" again. Kind of like putting the way chocolate ice cream taste into words, is'nt it;___when you attempt to describe it?

I like a fairly high staccato sound; but with as much "bottom" on the bass strings as I can get, when playing Hawaiian tunes. I have an 8-string bakelite Rick. but; when playing to an audience I play a Fender Dual Professional through a Webb 6-14E amp.

I set the controls on the guitar wide-open, plug into the "high" input on the amp with the bass wide-open and balance "across the strings" volume, with the five EQ controls. I make the final tone adjustments with the overall mid-range and the trebel control.

It seems that I can pinpoint the spot on the trebel control, that sounds best ot me, easier than I can on the mid-range;___the trebel around 3 and the mid-range around 6 or 7.

I use the heavier guage strings for each note of the tuning. I know some very good Hawaiian players who play in a rather mellow or bassy tone. This does not sound as good to me as the way I have described my setup.

I'm very interested in replies from those who play some Hawaiian tunes. Please describe your setup and critique my proceedures if you like.

Rick

Maurie Junod

Oak Forest, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2001 2:57 pm    

Hi Rick,

At the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Assn. convention
we usually have two Fender twin reverb amps
available. We usually set the bass control
to full bass, and the treble control to off
position. The reverb at three.

I use a Boss DD-3 Digital delay pedal set
as follows:
Mode...200ms
Delay time..12 o'clock
Feedback....12 to 3 o'clock
Effect level..12 to 3 o'clock

My steel is a Cougar double 8 with separate
volume and tone controls. Both vols. are set
full max. the tones are both set mid range.

I also use a volume pedal. That way I can
control my volume and tone settings right
from my guitar on stage.

My picking is done with my fingers right up
by the fretboard for a mellower tone than
back by the bridge.

Thats about it........Maurie

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2001 7:21 am    

I have only a limited number of electronic gadgets. When I want the Hawaiian sound, I attempt to get it from the instrument at hand and thro' my playing technique, NOT thro'a truck load of gadgets.
The music I love to hear and which is still some of the finest sounds ever heard were created by talented artists BEFORE reverb, compression, delay, etc., etc., were even thought about.
I too, use the placement of my right hand and the manner in which I hold the bar, as the deciding factor in what tone I'll get.
The electronic age has offered many options but "TONE"......that comes from the player. Just consider that Rick you have. WHAT COULD EVER SOUND BETTER?