The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E7 tuning question (b0b or anyone)
nick allen

France
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2001 12:01 am    

b0b -
I was browsing around alt.guitar.lap-pedal and saw a response from you to someone who was looking for a 6-string lap tuning to play Burritos/Gram Parsons type music with, and you suggested E7.
All the comments I’ve seen on this forum suggest this tuning as being essentially suited to Hawaiian music. Was the reason you suggested that tuning because it’s ‘on the way’ to the E9 pedal steel tuning? (I must admit the little I've tried with it all comes out as blues...)
nick

Dana Duplan

Ramona, CA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2001 6:15 am    

Scotty's has some instructional materials (tape and tab) for the E7 tuning with some familiar country tunes (sorry no Burrito Bros.).
DD

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2001 8:27 am    

I don't remember writing that.

E7th is a good tuning for blues and rock, and most guitar players find it easy to relate to. It's a good first tuning because it gets you into the "high bass" frame of mind, and because it's pretty easy.

My first lap steel tuning was E over A:
  E

B
G#
E
C#
A
It's a bit exotic, but it was also intuitive to me. I played rhythm guitar and bass before I took up the steel.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, A6)

nick allen

France
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2001 9:17 am    

It was about a year ago, b0b - I guess you've answered a good thousand messages since then !
I got interested in the E7 having read Jerry Hayes' suggestion of the easy re-tune between G6 and E7, because I only have one lap steel (so far!!), and while I'm trying to learn some of the Western Swing/old country sound on a sixth tuning, the only playing in public I get to do is jam sessions at a bar where the music is basically blues (BB King, SRV, Hendrix type blues, at that). And to feel comfortable with that, I've been using straight E tuning, a la Lindley/Sonny Rhodes/Duane Allman, etc. I figure the G6/E7 may allow me to use one guitar and one set of strings.
Incidentally, the first time I tuned to E7 and slid up the neck, a light went on - "For You Blue" (a Beatles song by George Harrison, with John Lennon playing lap steel*, for the very young, very, very old or otherwise Beatle-impaired among you). Exactly that sound.
I may try the course from Scotty's - as I said, so far, I'm not finding much of a country sound with the E7. Keep trying, huh?
Nick

*Okay, who's going to suggest John Lennon for the SGHOF?