The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ever get lost on a 3 or 4 neck guitar?
Aaron Schiff

Cedaredge, CO, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2001 2:41 pm    

I got lost in the middle of a song this morning and couldn't remember what I was playing or where I was. It occurred to me that guys who play on several necks in different tunings might forget which neck or which tuning they are on. I once got off a plane from Germany to Brasil thinking I was speaking Portuguese and actually speaking German. Does that sort of thing happen with several necks? Thinking you are on the C6 when you are on the E13, etc?

Maurie Junod

Oak Forest, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2001 3:08 pm    

Aaron

No worse than playing the wrong damn song

Maurie

------------------
www.megsinet.net/~junod
junod@megsinet.net

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2001 5:12 pm    

I never got lost playing on any neck of my triple neck Fender back in the 50's. But I did not do what I saw a number of players do at the Hawaiian show in Joliet this past Oct.

They would go from neck to neck in the middle of a song without even so much as a break in their music. Just simply tore me up! I had never seen that done before.

Oh, I had seen Leon McAuliff go from neck to neck to get a chord here or there as I did others, but never have I ever seen what Alan Akaka and others at this show did. It blew my mind. They were as effortless and fluid as it could possibly be. Without so much as lost beat. It was truly an awesome sight for me to see them play on all three necks constantly thruought most every song they did.

Amazing,

God bless them,

carl

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2001 8:41 pm    

I had a E13 on one neck, E6 on one neck and A6 on the other. I used to go back and forth all the time during a song when needed.

I had to! It was the only way I could get all the chords I wanted.

I was glad to get my Gibson Electra-Harp with 6 pedals, and stop having to jump necks all the time.Whew!!.....al

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2001 11:38 pm    

I got in a mode one night, playing country tunes by ear, where I would solo by playing the melody with a harmony. I was right on until the very last note, where it would resolve to the one, and then I'd suddenly forget what key I was in and totally blow it.

It still happens now and then.

On my D-8 I usually have the 6th chord intervals on the middle six strings on both necks (E13 & A6). That sort of keeps me a little more grounded. The E9th/C6th thing on a D-10 pedal steel really throws me sometimes, though. I start playing grips from one neck on the other. Ouch!

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 6:44 am    

Quote:
On my D-8 I usually have the 6th chord intervals on the middle six strings on both necks (E13 & A6).

Hey Bobby -- I notice that you have your D-8 tuned to E13 and A6, but your signature says D13 and A6. Do you switch back and forth between the E13 and D13 from time to time? If so, what would be the advantage/disadvantage of doing this? Also, what E13 version do you use?

I have my top neck tuned to E13, but it's the EC#BG#EDBG# (h-l) tuning that I know isn't used too often. What I like about it is being able to pull that 4th string G# up to A for a faux pedal pull.

Is changing from a D13 to an E13 more of the tonal differences you get, due to neck position of chords in certain keys? Oh yes, one more question: I noticed that you tune your Sierra 8 Laptop to a D13. Do you find that key/tuning to be the most universally useful? I'd like to get one of these for playing blues/rockabilly gigs.

Sorry for asking so darned many questions! I appreciate it, though!

TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
www.franchise-yourself.com
1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6)

Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 5:02 pm    

Man, I get lost on one neck, sometimes.

Rob

HOWaiian

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 4:14 pm    

I had my neck removed so I'll never get lost again.

Tom

New Milford,,CT., USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 10:49 pm    

HOWaiian,
Which neck...???

Tom: Dobro 63

------------------