The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dick Sanft Confirmed for Sacred Steel Convention
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 1:55 pm    

Hawaiian steel virtuoso Dick Sanft, who played at the Disney Polynesian Resort in orlando for nearly 20 years, has verbally confirmed that he will do a showcase at the Sacred Steel Convention in Sanford, FL on March 30-31. Which day he plays will be determined later.

Please see the posting under Events and Announcements for further details on the convention.

Aloha,

Bob

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2000 3:33 am    

Dick Sanft is an amazing steel player, be it hawaiian, gospel or jazz, he's also a really nice guy! Go see him if you can...but don't ask him how he tunes his guitar!

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2000 5:28 am    

I don't know Dick but he must be from the old school of players who had their own "one of a kind" tunings, and to protect it would even "de-tune" one or two strings when they left their guitar unattended so no one could figure it out.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2000 10:16 am    

I consider Dick as an old friend of mine. He plays great steel and I look forward to the day when we see each other once again in Hawai'i.
Dick, since he grew his moustache, bears an uncanny resemblance to the great Dick McIntire...amazing. If any of you folks see him at the Gospel event, please pass along my fondest regards...mahalo.

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2000 8:58 am    

Dick Sanft is a really nice guy and a great player. And you usually don't get too far asking him about his tunings. He likes to jump from neck to neck on his Stringmaster quad.

Sanft is a great admirer of Dick McIntire and actually played some with his band shortly after McIntire's death. He said it was a "real education." I'll bet it was! That was one sharp band. Sanft also has a little Dickerson lap--like McIntire used to play--among his collection and it's a sweetheart.

We are looking forward to having Dick Sanft at the Sacred Steel Convention.

Aloha,

Bob