The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Randy Beavers?
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2000 5:00 am    

Just been watching Mike Ihde's latest steel video (Recommended!).In one tiny clip, three players are throwing solos to each other. One guy, Randy Beavers, is playing what looks like a small(6-string?)lap steel. The sound, and the playing is fabulous - who needs pedals and extra strings?
Does anyone know anything about Randy - what tuning he may have been using? Has he recorded any of this hot playing? Randy, are you out there?

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2000 11:33 am    

randy's just another one of those unknown players who can play everything incredibly well. i'd heard of him before, then saw him one year at the june jam next to paul, lloyd john, hal etc. just another steel picker who plays better than i ever will. plays a zumsteel!

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2000 7:20 pm    

Thanks for the nice words. Smiley Roberts e-mailed me to let me know you asked about me. The guitar was actually a practice board that Bruce Zumsteg made for me. It has 10 strings and a pickup. It's surprising how good this "board" sounds. It's tuned to C6th. It worked out great when I was on the road, I could go to the back of the bus or take it to the room to work on something. Or if I really wanted to annoy someone..... Thanks, Randy.