The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How much for Rick B6 or B7?
David T

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2000 1:51 pm    

What is the general concensus on how much one should be expected to pay for a Rick B6 or B7? I would like to find one but I don't want to pay the moon for it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
- Dave

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2000 4:00 pm    

A B7 will run you probably close to $800.00 (ebay price)if you can find one.Maybe less from a private sale,and I would think more from a music store.

------------------

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 4:34 pm    

I managed to find one -7 for $350; and a -6 for only $150. The folks in the stores had no idea what they were holding. Just keep looking and don't give up. Patients tho' is not always easy, to be sure. It took me 55 years to get mine.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 9:16 pm    

Ask and you shall receive! Check out steel guitar on ebay and be prepared to do battle.
Hey Ray,why so much? Couldn't you knock them down a bit?

------------------

[This message was edited by HowardR on 12 November 2000 at 09:18 PM.]

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 6:57 am    

About 25 years ago I bought a '38 Rick' B6 in near mint condition with the original plush-lined hardshell case ('even smelled old) and an original "Black Raja" bar.... I paid $150 to the owner of a dinky little music store in Norway Illinois. I still have the guitar and it ROCKS!! I guess it pays to take a drive out to the country and see what's out there....

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

[This message was edited by Glenn Suchan on 16 November 2000 at 06:59 AM.]

David T

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 8:10 pm    

Thank you one and all. I went and checked out what was available on ebay and was surprised to find several B 6's & 7's for sale. Price seems to vary. Last one I saw went for $515 and it was in emaculate condition. Thanks again for all of your help. - Dave

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2000 5:45 am    

Glenn, you give valuable advice when you say it's worth a drive into the country if one is looking for vintage instruments. Many of the finest instruments I've found, at the best prices, I've got from small town dealers. One store owner I've dealt with a number of times
(he has a great little store in a small town less than two hours from Toronto) told me that he once had an old woman walk through the door of the shop, with a National Tricone under each arm, wanting to know "if these old tin guitars are worth anything"!

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2000 7:29 pm    

Howard!....my now exwife, did at the time of purchase, manipulated the store clerk to drop the $395 price by $50.00, telling him it was such an old guitar it couldn't possibly be worth that much. I was embarassed by her brashness! Such a deal!