The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  8-String Rick.
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2000 12:30 pm    

How do I go about dating (approx.) an 8-string bakelite Rickenbacker? It is a "strings through the body" type with painted cover plates. The pick-up is apparently the narrow type. I believe it to be post-war but; I' m not sure. Thanks in advance.

Rick

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2000 2:34 pm    

If it's with white plates, but a 1-1/2" wide pick-up, it's 1940 to '44-'45. If it has the narrower pick-up (1-1/4"), it's after 1944. These hade a tail piece instead of the "string-thru" design, but some where made with old style, drilled bodies.
It would also seem that they did do some custom jobs (special orders) with old parts. I also seem to find indications that they went away from the "tailpiece-design" in later years but I still seem to find so many contradictions and "ifs" & "whens".... to be able to give a date here.
I have a BD-6 ("D"-for "Deluxe" which has the keyhead cover) which is just the same like yours (1-1/4" pick-up and string-thru).
What is the neck made off on yours?? If it's bakelite, are the frets outlined with recessed white lines on both sides?
I would really appreciate picures! If you can't post them, please [email]jaydee@bellsouth.net?subject=SG-Forum/Non Pedal/B8[/email] to me.

Thanks!

------------------
The future belongs to culture. .... J-D.

[This message was edited by J D Sauser on 14 November 2000 at 02:48 PM.]