The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Date and value of Lap Steel???
Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2000 3:00 pm    

Can anyone tell me the date and an estimated value of this Supro Lap Steel? It is not mine but I told someone I'd try to find out for them. Thanks a lot.

------------------
Dave Alfstad
Indianola, Iowa

[This message has never ever been edited before.]

[This message was edited by Dave Alfstad on 29 October 2000 at 03:08 PM.]

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2000 5:22 pm    

Is there a serial number on a little plate on the underside? The mother of toilet seat celluloid covering dates it in the 50's through the early 60's.

Supro six string lap steels in very good condition sell for somewhere between $100 and $200. They are not particularly sought after. The one in the photo has a cracked nut that should probably be replaced.

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2000 9:56 pm    

I had a student who bought one of those new back in 1952, (or very similar). Other than the defective nut, (and the beat-up case), that guitar looks to be in good condition. If you are ever tempted to take off the top plate of the pickup, the two little magnets on each end will fall out. Be sure to put them back in the way you found them. If the magnets are reversed, the sound almost disappears. Value not over $300.00 today. It's an excellent student guitar.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2000 8:19 am    

Guitarists often cannabalize these for the pickups. Blues players really like the tone. I think that Ry Cooder or someone like that has raved about the sound of Supro pickups in print.

Still, I agree that $300 would be the high end. More likely $150-$250.

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2000 2:21 pm    

In better condition, and with a hard shell case, $250-$300 certainly wouldn't be out of line for such an instrument. In this instance, for a guitar with a broken nut, some finish damage and a ratty soft shell, definitely less than $200.

Further to what Brad says, the Supro pickups are extraordinary (Brad, Cooder does have a Supro-style bridge pickup on his favorite Strat, with a Teisco for the neck pickup).
They don't have the warmth of, say, a Rickenbacker horseshoe, but through a hot tube amp they SCREAM, and also have maybe the best sustain of any lap steel pickup.