The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hillbilly Hendrix
Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:04 pm    

Group,

I've been a Jr. Brown fan for several years but I finally had a chance to see him live last thursday at the Sun Theater in Anaheim. What an incredible entertainer. Every tune is a guitar voyage from Nashville to Woodstock and back. His steel playing is sublime and his vocals couldn't be any finer. I could go on and on. One question. He played most of his set in what appeared to be C6/A7 tuning. Then towards the end of his set, he tuned his first and eighth string to a lower pitch. Gave him a whole different sound. Can anyone out there help this novice understand the details of this tuning change ?

MW

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 11:07 pm    

Marc,
Don't know where you came up w/ that name,("Hillbilly Hendrix") but I LOVE it.
Sorry,I can't help you out w/ your question.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2000 1:26 am    

His tuning was in a Guitar Player a few years back. It's C6th with a B flat on the bottom (I think I remember that right). Don't know about the change, though.
And doesn't he play LOUD - 2 Twin Reverbs up full can hurt!

Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2000 5:50 am    

Iain,

Double Twins yes, but he only cranked them when he wanted feedback (kept his foot on the volume pedal at all times). He was certainly loud but it wasn't overbearing.

MW

John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2000 6:26 am    

He is so cool. I think his regular tuning is Bb c e g a c e' g', so you can imagine him cranking the 8th to A or G, but what would the 1st go to? If the third string was at c#, taking the first to f# might make sense...

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 5:53 am    

I imagine that Jr. was named "Hillbilly Hendrix" because he uses a few of Hendrix' guitar melodies in a couple of his songs. I remember hearing a Hendrix lick in one of Jr's songs. It was a lick fron "Third Stone From The Sun"(not to be confused with the TV show "Third Rock From The Sun". JR. is a very innovative player that I wish would play Scotty's show. It would definitely be a different segment of the show for the St. Louis attendees.

Mark Zinns

Oakland CA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 11:44 am    

I saw Jr. at the Filmore in SF last year and he was great. What was particularly cool about that show was the audience. There were all age groups, ethnicities, etc. Everyone was just going nuts when he played the steel solos on "Stupid Blues" and "Hung it Up". And to see him do pedal steel licks without any pedals while singing was just great. Did not see any volume pedal, but maybe I was to transfixed on his hands.

------------------
Sierra U-12
Sho-Bud D-12
Fender Dual Professional

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 1:51 pm    

I played with an opening act for Jr Brown here in Massachusetts a couple of years ago. The guy is pretty amazing. Kind of like Ernest Tubb meets the Ventures meets Jimi. Yes, he is loud, especially condidering that he's the only electric player on stage. His backing was acoustic guitar, acoustic bass, and a drummer playing snare drum only! He's a dominant player, to say the least.

He did a Ventures cover (Walk Don't Run) and I heard the "Third Stone From the Sun" riff, as well as "The Wind Cries Mary" power chord riff used as an ending to another song. Neat stuff.

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2000 10:36 am    

Doug,

Jr. did indeed do a medley of Ventures and spy stuff. BTW, I have to claim credit for the moniker "Hillbilly Hendrix". I brought a buddy of mine to the concert who had never heard Jr. before. On the way there, he asked me to describe his music and that title seemed to say it all.

MW

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2000 9:32 pm    

Here's a little link to some of Junior's history.
http://www.concentric.net/~Bllfrog/

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be

Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2000 8:44 am    

Jason,

Thanks for the link.

MW

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 4:49 pm    

I got to open for Junior last summer which was quite a treat. Junior Knight's playing with Tanya Rae was as good as anything her hubbo played BTW.

Anyway, the only time I saw him change his tuning was to play Bud Charleton's "Almost to Tulsa". Not sure what he changed, but he played that song note for note. It was killer!
He tuned it right back after that song though.

Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 9:21 pm    

I've seen Junior Brown play live 5 times so far here in Bakersfield. Its quite a treat to see all the local legends dropped jaw when Junior starts playing.

Go see Junior live its a must see for anyone interested in any type of guitar or steel.

Some favorite quotes from friends of mine after Junior concerts.

"Man I didnt think I'd like him cause I dont like country that much but this guy rulez!"

"Who on earth can sound like Ernest Tubbs one second and do a Jimi lick in the next song?"

Here is my fav quote from a non steel playin friend.

"Geez Marko I know how hard it is to play your lap steel how on earth does he make it sound like a pedal steel?"

Too cool! Go see Junior if he is within a resonable drive its worth every penny you spent to see him.

[This message was edited by Mark Davis on 18 October 2000 at 10:24 PM.]