The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro pickups
Junior Wilson

Milford, DE 19963
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 12:03 pm    

I'm considering installing a pickup or condensor mic on one of my Dobros, which I use for slide guitar. I would apprciate any opinions you guys may have on the current pickups.
Thanks

------------------

Jim Mathis

Overland Park, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 5:57 am    

I use the McIntyre which sticks to the bottom of the spider. It works pretty well. I can get a variety sounds depending upon the amp and settings. A truly natural dobro sound is possible but kind of elusive to me. I know that Mike Auldridge uses the McIntyre for the monitors and mikes the dobro for the mains. I would like to hear other opinions too.

Mark Tomeo

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2000 5:57 am    

I have a a Dobro D60 with the McIntyre pickup and a small Baggs preamp EQ that I run direct to the board for both mains and monitors. The sound is basically good, but it's a very powerful pickup and most of the time I can't get enough monitor before it starts to squeal. I don't know whether we just don't understand how to EQ it properly, or because this is a six- to seven-piece band nothing's gonna get it up to the level of the other instruments. That doesn't seem to be a problem with the acoustic guitar though (Takamine Santa Fe). We can crank that up like crazy. I'm not even sure what kind of a pickup the McIntyre is. It sounds microphonic to me and passes along a lot of pick noise. I bought it because the guy at Resophonic Outfitters
http://www.beardguitars.com/explode/resophonic/resophonic.html
said it was the way to go.

David Stehman

Port Orchard, WA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2000 10:07 pm    

Been using the McIntyre(piezo) for 8 years on a Reed sq nk. Feeds to RLBaggs ParaEQ preamp
to California Blonde Acoustic Amp by SWR.
I blend output of small condensor mike (Peavey 480)through a Mackie 1202 12 ch mixer, which also supplies the phanton power required by the mike. This ampo is the only one which makes the pickup sound natural without additional signal porocessing. Seems its due to the 'aural enhancer" circuitry as well as uses of the Baggs to Notch fedback problem frequencies. Lower gain for higher on stage volume is possible with lowest noise companents in the signal chain and a low noise amp. The pickup feeds back thru the cone, acting as a large mic. Usual precautions to reduce feedback apply. It took me a long time to get to here with this.
Dave Stehman

dave krusell

missouri
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 7:39 am    

I've used a Barcus-Berry Dobro pickup for over five years now with no hassels and no feedback. Its easy to put on and remove. It sounds like a slide guitar. They are made in two models, one being a little bright tone.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 10:57 am    

The McIntyre or any other piezo on the spider seems convert the resonator cone into a giant microphone diaphgram which picks up other instruments and of course feeds back easily.Try yelling into the resonator and you`ll see.I haven`t found a way around that problem,so live I usually use the PSG w. the Match-Bro.Sabine has some sort of automatic feedback controller.Has anybody tried it with the Dobro?

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 11:32 am    

I also bought a McIntyre being convinced that was the way to go. I never used it live because I couldn't get it to not feed back at a decent volume, or have any tonal quality whatsoever. And that was just at home. So now it sits idol in my Dobro. I re-installed the magnetic Barcus Berry using steel strings, and thats the best I've found.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Melobro. Now you've made me mad. Anyone want to buy an '83 Dobro Custom complete with a brand new McIntyre pickup?

David Stehman

Port Orchard, WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 12:27 am    

Chris
My Melobro is enough louder and brighter I amp it with a small condensor mic with no
pick up and no feedback problems. Happy,
Dave

David Stehman

Port Orchard, WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 12:28 am    

Chris
My Melobro is enough louder and brighter I amp it with a small condensor mic with no
pick up and no feedback problems. Happy,
Dave

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 12:45 pm    

I have tried several piezo type pickups with out much success. I was about to order a McIntyre then I read this thread so now I am clueless once again.

What's the advantage of the McIntyre over any other piezo style pickup???

I wish there was something like the Fishman bridge pickup like I installed on my mandolin, it's great!

[This message was edited by Robert Parent on 04 October 2000 at 01:47 PM.]

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 7:51 pm    

The sound of the McIntyre is good,probably the best for Dobro and it works if your band doesn`t play loud.In an amplified acoustic setting the McIntyre is a good way to go.

Olli

Aaron Balano

San Anselmo, Ca
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 9:11 am    

I use a McIntyre pickup on my Dobro and have no complaints. I think some problems occur when the pickup is run through a regular guitar amp. My dobro was outfitted with the p/u and a Audio-technica small condenser mic which plugs into an RCA jack on the coverplate. I use a stereo cable and run this through a Rane AP13 preamp which then goes into the mixing board. I have never had problems with feedback and the sound is as close to acoustic as you can get. The Rane has a 7-band eq for both the mic and p/u, so feedback can be easily eliminated. I compete with electric guitars, bass, and drums (and sometimes a pedal steel) in my band and have no problems with either tone or volume playing through the p/a. Tim Scheerhron did the set up on my guitar and did a perfect job.

[This message was edited by Aaron Balano on 12 October 2000 at 11:22 PM.]

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 11:51 am    

Hi Aaron,
Thanks for the input. I have a Rane AP-13 so maybe I will get a McIntyre pickup after all.
What AT condenser michrophone are you using?

I also have a Crate CA60D acoustic amp, have you tried your dobro with any of those? Thanks for the info.

Aaron Balano

San Anselmo, Ca
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 12:21 pm    

Robert,
The mic on my dobro is the ATM35. It's the one with the short bendable goosneck and clip. It attaches very nice to the coverplate and you can move it around a little so it stays out of your way. Use more mic volume than pick up and roll down most of the high frequencies on the Rane AP13 and I'm sure you'll be pretty happy. A little fooling around and you'll sound pretty close to acoustic.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2000 11:15 am    

I am looking for a well used dobro to put a pickup in. I am looking strongly at the K&K made in Oregon. I put one on my banjo and it worked the best of anything I have tried and I have looked around a lot over the years.

Larry Behm

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2000 9:32 am    

Now that I have a dobro for the stage I am taking a look at the Lace dobro senor. It looks like a guitar pickup and you put it under the strings over the 3 holes. Tim Sheerhorn turned me on to it. We will see and let everyone know.

Larry Behm

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 6:31 am    

i've got a lace sensor pickup on my standard sq neck dobro.....really sounds pretty decent straight into my nashville or LTD 400, only drawback so far is the output is not as strong as my steel so i'm looking for remedies to boost it a little........but tone is way better than the barcus berry i had and they're fairly cheap and easy.

[This message was edited by chris ivey on 09 October 2000 at 07:33 AM.]

Ron

Hermiston, Oregon
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 11:54 am    

On Norman Hamlets Robro O built I installed a P Bass magnitic pickup EMG. He plays on stage with it . He said any Peizo or mike will feed back for him.. He sets in frunt of his amp and it is turned up loud. He is also recording eith it and sounds verry good he says.

Ron Frazier

------------------

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 4:46 pm    

Chris if you use an effects processor crete a patch with more volume.

Larry Behm

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 11:00 pm    

thanx larry, that's just what i've been doing....setting the output higher on a patch i run the dobro through and tweak the eq a little for various situations....although i've just been messing with my limited, yet cheap and simple, zoom 505 box......any suggestions on directions to try as far as reverb/delay/eq/comp/modulation/etc. that may enhance the authentic dobro tone?

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 4:42 pm    

Chris, the fewer the effect the better. I am about to try this myself so stand by.

Larry

David Stehman

Port Orchard, WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 11:11 pm    

Using Zoom 504 "acoustic efx" before got the SWR Acoustic amp, which sounds great straight. Used 504(sim to 505 efx) 'DeAMP setting to reduce bad sounding harmx created by guitar(vs acoustic amps): lil sm room reverb, lil short delay to thicken the sound,
and "body/top eq to adjust for boominess/shrillness." Used "air on 1/2 to sim mike distance. More efx muddied sound, less left the respective functions unaddressed. Using Line 6 POD to sim amps, usually with Tube Preamp, with lil delay and
Compression, and a lil reverb from POD, Zoom, and/or SWR amp, depending. SWR rev is Hammond Organ Co reverbcleaner/shorter, Zoom is noisier, but more spatial
options. Best is POD thru efx loop on SWR w/0 Zoom, now I have SWR. W/ McIntyre, play away from monitor, amp, other sound sources: only use min gainneeded for OK amp vol. Use notch, as in LRBaggs. What type is the K&K mentioned?
Dave Stehman

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:42 am    

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the info on the microphone that you are using, I'll check it out. One other question if you don't mind. What power amp and speaker setup are you using with the Rane AP-13.

Aaron Balano

San Anselmo, Ca
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2000 10:20 pm    

Robert,
I don't use an amp. I run the Rane AP13 straight into the board. I played around with SWR amps and other speaker/amp combinations, but experienced too much trouble with feedback and lousy tone. I could not produce a good acoustic sound with any kind of guitar-type amp I tried. The eq and the ability to adjust the mic to p/u ratio on the Rane preamp gives me the best sound I've heard. Sometimes I put a very small amount of reverb and chorus on the signal to round out the sound, but it's not needed to get a great acoustic tone.

Junior Wilson

Milford, DE 19963
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2000 7:36 pm    

I appreciate you guys taking the time and expressing your opinions on the pickup issue. I favor trying the McIntyre pickup or a condensor mic for my use. I do want the traditional Dobro character and not a lap-steel-ish sound. Sounds like the McIntyre may be the most "practical" answer for me. I do a multi-instrumental act and I already have eqs, Fishman piezo pre-amps and FX units. For the past three years I've used a Sabine Soloist feedback eliminator on my acoustic guitar channel too with real good results. I imagaine that device would probably do a fine job on the potential Dobro squalking too. Guess it's time to experiment? Thanks again.

------------------

[This message was edited by Junior Wilson on 17 October 2000 at 08:46 PM.]