The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Byrd will not attend the Joliet Illinois HSGA Conventi
John Tipka

Reynoldsburg,OH
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2000 3:40 pm    

Received word from Hawaii and convention staff that Jerry Byrd will not be coming to Joliet for the HSGA Convention in October.

John

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 12:23 pm    

This is sad!

Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2000 1:48 am    

I sat with Bill Blevins on Sunday at the Slauda Show and he had just talked with Bryd last week (Fri) and said it was doubt-ful that he would come over,but it was subject to change and he would let me know.
Vern

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2000 9:06 am    

This saddens me. But I do understand. He has made over 30 trips to Japan. And he is 80 yrs old. So it aint easy on dem bones at that age.

I will miss him. I was soo looking forward to teasing him about "no-pedals" but I can do that in a letter any how. Words cannot begin to express my deep love and admiration for this man. Truly the Master of Touch and Tone!!

I am still going to this show. I am told by several respondents that the sound level at "Hawaiian" shows is kept lower than at the other steel shows. Based on that, I am planning on going to Joliet and then to Hawaii next spring. I certainly hope so. I just can't stand loud music. I realize I am a lonely voice in a vast wilderness but to each his own.

God bless,

carl

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2000 9:04 pm    

You are certainly not alone Carl!!!..I think one, Hawaiian music fans listen closer and the sound and tone is so much clearer at lower levels, unless you have really top flight equiptment and a sound man who is familiar with it or it becomes just a wash of sound....and as far as me personally, I have hearing problems where I can hear a pin drop if nothing else is happening, but add ambient noise, talking, glasses tinkling,TV on, too loud bass,et. al. and I can't differentiate sounds, it all turns to noise to me...Most people can't play if they have to listen to my monitor mix!!! I think I was one of the first after the likes of Pink Floyd and the Gratful Dead to get In- Ear monitors, and boy, it was worth every dollar....( altho Rudy, our sound guy thinks I'm nuts)
See you in Honolulu
Aloha Mike

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2000 8:33 pm    

Yes, it is sad he won't be attending Joliet, but you know, he is 80 years of age and has graced this Convention with his presence many times in the past. Time for him to slow down and smell the roses. I feel we should all be thankful to Jerry for the wonderful moments he has given us over the years at past Conventions.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 01 September 2000 at 08:53 AM.]

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2000 4:01 pm    

Very sad indeed. I was looking forward having the privilege to see and maybe even meet him for my first time.
Anyway, I confirmed my stay at the hotel. It will be my first time at the HSGA meeting and jam and I am looking forward meeting some of you and steel some licks from y'all .

------------------
Work is only for people who don't steel jaydee@bellsouth.net

[This message was edited by J D Sauser on 02 September 2000 at 05:02 PM.]

Hill Phillips

Alma Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2000 4:47 pm    

When is this show Folks?
I wanna go to get out of this heat, But thats not the main reason.
I got a offer for a free ride to kankakee next tuesday should the show be within a couple weeks I can make it.
Thanks.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2000 7:43 pm    

HSGA Convention is being held October 5 6 7, 2000 at Joliet, just outside of Chicago. The Convention fee is $20.00 per person plus one year enrollment into the HSGA (if you are not a member already) of $26.00 (in U.S.Funds). If you want to play steel on stage, (30 minutes allotted), you should SNAIL Alma Pfeiffer, 1110 Sheila Dr., Joliet, IL., 60435 who will slot you in. If you want to play backup, they would love to have you participate. This Convention is primarily for "lap" players only although a few pedal players have been known to show up and play. Hawaiian music is preferred. Accomodations at the HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS (815)729-2000. Deadline for reservations has past, but if you want to stay at the HOLIDAY INN, phone the hotel NOW and tell them you are an HSGA member...you might still be able to get a room. Otherwise, there are other places which they will suggest. The Convention is held in the main ballroom of the Holiday Inn. Lots of fun and great music ! Hope this helps.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 02 September 2000 at 08:57 PM.]

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2000 5:23 am    

Are there going to be any seminars too (that would be nice, you know )?
Vendors?
Places to trade instruments and related stuff (I might be able to bring a BD-6 Rick and I am still in the market for a B-7 or A-22/7)?

------------------
Work is only for people who don't steel jaydee@bellsouth.net

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2000 5:59 am    

The HSGA convention is a great get together of all types of non-pedal steel players. This will be my third consecutive convention.

At the show, I have heard six string lap steels, Weisenborns, Dobros, National Tri-Cones, Rickenbacher Fry-Pans and Bakelites,
1, 2, 3 and 4 neck Fender Stringmasters, Excel Fry-Pans and consoles, Sierra Lap steels, E Harps, National consoles etc etc etc.

Yes, the focus is primarily Hawaiian music but I've heard much Western Swing, Pop Standards and C&W at this gathering.

One of the nice things is that everyone stays at the Holiday Inn. This leads to many impromptu jams that can last until dawn (my average nightly bedtime at this convention is around 4:30 AM). Everyone is welcome at the jam sessions. The only thing holding you back is you.

The main show is held in the large meeting room of the Holiday Inn. Comfortable seats are provided but many people circulate throughout the room during the day chatting with friends, asking questions of fellow steelers and checking out the merchandise for sale around the perimeter of the room. CD's, vintage LP's, sheet music and instruments are usually for sale. For example last year I noticed a Jerry Byrd Fry-Pan, a double neck Rickenbacker console, a Gibson lap as well as Hawaiian LP's from the 1950's, Oahu sheet music and hand made paper leis. Don't expect bargains when it comes to instruments.
Everyone knows what these instruments are worth and they're priced accordingly.

There is a rumor circulating that Alan Akaka will hold a Q&A session during one of the evenings of the show. I hope this happens. Alan is one of the world's premier Hawaiian steel players and it will be great to pick his mind.

I have been to many musical gatherings in my life and have never met a group of people as friendly, outgoing and willing to share information, tunes and friendship as the HSGA members.

p.s., Isaac Akuna wrote a wonderful article about his first impressions of Joliet. You can read it at the HSGA website... www.hsga.org

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 05 September 2000 at 06:26 AM.]

Troy Cody

MEMPHIS, TN USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 6:08 am    

I am Sharon, Troys widow..
Everything said here about the HSGA convention in Joliet Illinois is so very true..if you have a chance to attend..go!!
you will have a wonderful time...my husband and I attended last year...Troy loved his steel guitars..we have attended many steel guitar conventions over the past several years..but the HSGA is one of the best..the music is so different...just beautiful to sit and listen too.......several performers were doing hula dances to the music and we enjoyed that so much...seeing how they can express the words wihout voice... it just made the music be that much more appreciated...the people made us feel so very welcome...the accomidations were great we also stayed at the Holiday Inn...where convention held... food good...lots of places nearby if you wanted to do other things than attend convention..Troy was at the convention the whole time...and it did go on most all night...my daughter and friend rode up with us and took the car and went on into Chicago...we had a great time at the Convention..We had taken a lap steel guitar that Troy had built and we had also taken a 1950 Gibson lap steel with case in very very good condition to sell...this is still for sale if anyone interested...for $400 you might have remembered seeing it last year..however the guitars that Troy made were given to his grandchildren...we had plans to attend the convention this year...Troy will be there in spirit...he passed away June 23 of this year...totally unexpected...we had so many steel guitar conventions to attend this year..........I know he will be going there without me...and having a great time..he loved the music..he said the singing always got in the way of the good music....at his funeral services I had them play 3 steel guitar gospel selections....you don't know how many people came to me afterwards and said that was the most beautiful music they had ever heard...
that is a tribute to Troy and everyone else that enjoys the steel guitar music...
Enjoy your music..and play on... I know Troy is still playing and if I listen really close..I can still hear him...one regret is that I do not have any tapes of Troy playing..so if you are a player..tape some of your music so it can be enjoyed...on and on............just a thought....something we talked about doing and never did....
I just wanted to check the board...Troy always checked it every day...he so loved "talking" with everyone here...

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2000 8:49 am    

Gerald and Sharon have summed up the HSGA Convention perfectly. It is indeed, a great time to meet new friends, exchange "licks", listen to some wonderful music and even purchase a gem of a guitar which just might show up. My deepest sypmpathy goes out to you Sharon, in your very sad and sudden loss. While I have attended many HSGA Conventions in the past, I cannot recall having the pleasure of meeting with you or your late husband Troy. You say you have no recordings of him...did he not play on stage at the Convention? If he did, many members tape most everything which occures during those 3 days and I would be quite surprised if someone doesn't have Troy's music, (which they would gladly share with you), providing he did indeed perform on stage. I no longer attend the Convention as air fare costs from here to Chicago, (Joliet), are as much, if not more than to Hawai'i...guess where I'd rather be ! But if you live in an area whereby attending the Convention poses no problem, go ! go ! go! You won't regret it!

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 09 September 2000 at 09:50 AM.]

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 09 September 2000 at 09:52 AM.]

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2000 9:45 am    

Would someone mind telling me what days the convention is being held?

Thanks,

carl

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2000 11:38 am    

As mentioned above...Oct. 5 6 and 7 (Thursday, Friday and Saturday).

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 11:19 am    

Just bumping this to the top.

Hope to see a lot of you non-peddlers at Joliet this week.

All you Midwest non-peddlers have no excuse. Be there!

Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 2:26 pm    

Hmm - let's see: Jerry Byrd doesn't want to leave Hawaii to come to Joliet, IL? I grew up in Joliet, and most of my family still reside there - BUT - (and many who left their hometowns for ANY reason will know what I'm talking about)my hometown inspires a love/hate response. You love the times you had there . . . well, Hawaii's weather is supposed to be good for octogenarians, that's all I meant to say. Of course, I will have to make it to at least one day of the convention and hope that all attendees have an even better time than they're hoping to. It really should be a blast.

Robert

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 2:53 pm    

I am getting very excited about going to this show. And if it is true that the sound level is considerably lower than regular steel conventions, I will attend the show in Hawaii next May and make this show an annual event for me.

Can't wait. God bless all,

carl

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 3:18 pm    

I'm looking forward to meeting all my Forum friends in Joliet! You'll be able to recognize me, I'll be wearing a Hawaiian shirt...

-Bill

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2000 7:40 pm    

No need to worry about the sound level...it's pure nahi nahi !
As for wearing a Hawaiian shirt to be noticed, better you should go nude as EVERYONE wears a Hawaiian shirt !!!
You will certainly be noticed ! ha!